High level interpretation of execution traces of Ada tasks
Ada's facilities for real-time programs and concurrency create new problems in program specification, design and debugging, rendering earlier development tools insufficient. The tool presented here is designed to aid the debugging of tasking activities. It first does a dynamic analysis of a program to produce a history of its execution without disturbing the real-time environment. It then does a static analysis to create an abstract representation of the program in the form of a concurrency state diagram. A comparison of the tasking activities of the history and diagram are then compared in order to find which control paths the execution could have followed. The results of this matching process are presented by a user-friendly graphics interface.
Key WordsAda concurrency tasking real-time debugging static analysis dynamic analysis software engineering Techniques and tools for the development of high quality software
Interpretation de Haut Niveau des Traces d'Execution des Taches d'Ada
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BART 69]K.A. Bartlett, R.A. Scantleburry & P.T. Wilkinson: "A Note on Reliable Full-Duplex Transmission over Half-Duplex Links", Communications of the ACM, 12-5, May 1969.Google Scholar
- [EVAN 83]A. Evans, G. Goos, W.A. Wulf & K.J. Butler: "DIANA: An Intermediate Language for Ada", Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, 1983.Google Scholar
- [GERM 84]S.M. German: "Monitoring for Deadlock and Blocking in Ada Tasking", IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. SE-10, No. 6, November 1984, pp. 764–777.Google Scholar
- [HELM 84]D.P. Helmbold & D.C. Luckham: "Debugging Ada Tasking Programs", IEEE SOFTWARE, March 1985, pp. 47–57.Google Scholar
- [LRM 83]Military Standard Ada Programming Language, (ANSI/MIL-STD-1815A-1983), American National Standard Institute, January 1983.Google Scholar
- [OSTE 80]L.J. Osterweil & R.N. Taylor: "Anomaly Detection in Concurrent Software by Static Data Flow Analysis", IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, SE-6, No. 3, May 1980, pp. 265–277.Google Scholar
- [TAYL 83]R.N. Taylor: "A General-Purpose Algorithm for Analyzing Concurrent Programs", Communications of the ACM, Vol. 26, No. 5, May 1983, pp. 362–376.Google Scholar
- [TAYL 84]R.N. Taylor: "Analysis of Concurrent Software by Cooperative Application of Static and Dynamic Techniques", Software Validation; H.L. Hausen (ed.), Elsevier Science Publishers B.V. (North Holland), 1984, pp. 127–137.Google Scholar