TRICS: A testing tool for C
Since validating a software system can amount to as much as 50% of the total life-cycle costs, tools have been developed to automate parts of this process. However, most of these are for Fortran or Cobol. TRICS is an interactive tool which uses data flow analysis to help prepare test data for programs in C. It provides a standard environment for executing tests on the user's choice of a subset of procedures. It retains the results as an aid to integration and regression testing. Pointers, multiple compilation units, multiple procedures, and recursion are treated.
Key wordsC program testing software validation data flow analysis static analysis dynamic analysis test driver software engineering Techniques and tools for the development of high quality software
TRICS: Un outil de test pour C
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [ADRI 82]W.R. Adrion, M.A Branstad & J.C. Cherniavsky: "Validation, Verification, and Testing of Computer Software," ACM Computing Surveys, Vol.14, No. 2, June 1982, pp. 159–192.Google Scholar
- [FOSD 76]L.D. Fosdick & L.J. Osterweil: "Data Flow Analysis in Software Reliability," Computing Surveys, Vol. 8, No. 3, September 1976, pp. 305–330.Google Scholar
- [HOWD 82]W.E. Howden: "Validation of Scientific Programs," ACM Computing Surveys, Vol. 14, No. 2, June 1982, pp. 193–227.Google Scholar
- [FAIR 78]R.E. Fairley: "Tutorial: Static Analysis and Dynamic Testing of Computer Software," IEEE Computer, Vol. 11, No. 4, April 1978, pp. 14–23.Google Scholar
- [OSTE 76]L.J. Osterweil & L.D. Fosdick: "DAVE — A Validation Error Detection and Documentation System for Fortran Programs," Software — Practice and Experience, Vol. 6, 1976, pp. 473–486.Google Scholar
- [OSTE 87]L.J. Osterweil: "Effective Depth First Search Anomaly Detection in the Presence of Recursion," Technical Report, University of Colorado Computer Science Department (to be published).Google Scholar
- [PANZ 78]D.J. Panzl: "Automatic Software Test Drivers," IEEE Computer, Vol. 11, No. 4, April 1978, pp. 44–50.Google Scholar
- [SARR 84]R.F. Sarraga, "Static Data Flow Analysis of PL/1 Programs with the PROBE System," IEEE Transactions of Software Engineering, Vol. SE-10, No. 4, July 1984, pp. 451–459.Google Scholar
- [SRA 82]Software Research Associates: "Software Engineering Automated Tools Index," San Francisco, 1982.Google Scholar
- [WILS 81]C.L. Wilson:"Data Flow Anomaly Detection in the C Programming Language," Masters Degree Thesis, University of Colorado, 1981.Google Scholar
- [WILS 85]C.L. Wilson & L.J. Osterweil: "Omega — A Data Flow Analysis Tool for the C Programming Language," IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. SE-11, No. 9, Sept. 1985, pp. 832–858.Google Scholar