Real-time image compression using data-parallelism
The purpose of this paper is to present this new parallel image compression algorithm. We present implementation results on several parallel computers. We also examine load balancing and data mapping problems. We end by presenting a well-suited architecture for Real-Time image compression.
KeywordsData-Parallelism Image Compression Wavelet Transform Vector Quantization Huffman Coding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Antonini, M. Barlaud, P. Mathieu, I. Daubechies. Image coding Using Wavelets Transform. IEEE Trans. on Image processing 1(4):205–220, 1992.Google Scholar
- 2.S. G. Mallat. A theory for multiresolution signal decomposition: The wavelet representation. IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Inte lligence, 11(7): 674–693, 1989.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Gersho, R.M. Gray. Vector Quantization and Signal Compression. Kluwer Academic Publisher, Boston, 1992.Google Scholar
- 4.M. Nelson. The Data Compression book. Prentice Hall, Redwood Cityes, 1991.Google Scholar
- 5.M. J. Quinn. Designing Efficient Algorithms for Parallel Computers. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 1987.Google Scholar
- 6.R. W. Hockney and C. R. Jesshope. Parallel Computers: 2 Architecture, Programming, and Algorithms, 2nd Ed. IOP Publishing Ltd., Pennsylvania, 1988.Google Scholar