Efficient solutions for mapping parallel programs
This paper describes a mapping toolbox, whose aim is to optimize the execution time of parallel programs described as task graphs on distributed memory parallel systems. The toolbox includes several classical mapping algorithms. It was assessed by computing the mapping of randomly generated task graphs and by mapping and executing on a parallel system synthetic programs representing some classical numerical algorithms. A large number of experiments were used to validate the cost functions used in the toolbox and to compare the algorithms.
KeywordsParallel environment Load-balancing Mapping
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Błażewicz, P. Bouvry, D. Trystram, and R. Walkowiak. A tabu search algorithm for solving the mapping problem. 1995. European Conference on Combinatorial Optimization, ECCO'95.Google Scholar
- 2.S. W. Bollinger and S. F. Midkiff. Processor and link assignment in multicomputers using simulated annealing. In ICPP, 1988.Google Scholar
- 3.P. Bouvry, J.-P. Kitajima, B. Plateau, and D. Trystram. Andes: A performance evaluation tool, application to the mapping problem. submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- 4.T.L. Casavant and J.G. Kuhl. A taxonomy of scheduling in general-purpose distributed computing systems. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 1988.Google Scholar
- 5.F. Glover and M. Laguna. Tabu Search, a chapter in Modern Heuristic Techniques for Combinatorial Problems. W.H. Freeman, N-Y, 1992.Google Scholar
- 6.P. Haden and F. Berman. A comparative study of mapping algorithms for an automated parallel programming environment. Technical Report CS-088, UC San Diego, 1988.Google Scholar
- 7.J.G. Harp, C.R. Jesshope, T. Muntean, and C. Whitby-Stevens. The development and application of a low cost high performance multiprocessor machine. In ESPRIT'86: results and achievements, Amsterdam, 1986. North Holland.Google Scholar
- 8.J. Kitajima. Modèles Quantitatifs d'Algorithmes parallèles. PhD thesis, Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble, Grenoble-France, November 1994. in french.Google Scholar
- 9.M. Norman and P. Thanish. Models of machines and computation for mapping in multicomputers. ACM Computing Surveys, September 1993.Google Scholar
- 10.B. Plateau. Présentation d'APACHE. Rapport APACHE 1, IMAG, Grenoble, October 1994. Available at ftp.imag.fr:/imag/APACHE/RAPPORTS.Google Scholar
- 11.T. Yang and A. Gerasoulis. PYRROS: static scheduling and code generation for message passing multiprocessors. In Proceedings of the 6th ACM International Conference on Supercomputing, pages 428–437. ACM, July 1992.Google Scholar