FPGA implementation of a network of neuronlike adaptive elements
A well known model of reinforcement learning is called Adaptive Heuristic Critic learning. It is composed of two so called “neuronlike adaptive elements” and has been used to solve difficult learning control problems. In this paper we present an FPGA design and implementation of such algorithm, and, furthermore, we describe a neurocontroller system composed of a network of neuronlike adaptive elements and an unsupervised clustering system called FAST, which dynamically partitions the input state space of the system being controlled.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Altera. Data Book. Altera Corporation, Santa Clara, 1996.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Barto, R. Sutton, and C. Anderson. Neuronlike adaptive elements that can solve difficult learning control problems. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 13(5):834–846, 1983.Google Scholar
- 3.P. D. Hortensius, R. D. McLeod, W. Pries, D. M. Miller, and H. C. Card. Cellular automata-based pseudorandom number generators for built-in self-test. IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design, 8(8):842–859, August 1989.Google Scholar
- 4.B.J.A. Krose and J.W.M van Dam. Adaptive state space quantization for reinforcement learning collision-free navigation. In Proceedings of the 1992 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pages 1327–1332, 1992.Google Scholar
- 5.Cheng-Jian Lin and Ching-Teng Lin. Reinforcement learning for an ART-based Fuzzy adaptive learning control network. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, 7(3):709–731, 1996.Google Scholar
- 6.Jose del R. Millan. Rapid, safe, and incremental learning of navigation strategies. In IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, pages 408–420, June 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.A. Perez and E. Sanchez. FPGA implementation of an adaptable-size neural network. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks ICANN96, pages 383–388, Springer Verlag, July 1996.Google Scholar
- 8.A. Perez and E. Sanchez. Speeding-Up Adaptive Heuristic Critic learning with FPGA-based unsupervised clustering. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Evolutionary Computation ICEC97, pages 685–689, IEEE Press, 1997.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Perez and E. Sanchez.Structure-Adaptable Neurocontrollers: A Hardware-Friendly Approach. In Proceedings of the International Work-Conference on Artificial and Natural Neural Networks IWANN97, Springer Verlag, 1997 (to appear).Google Scholar