Proving temporal properties of Petri nets
We present a sound and complete tableau system for proving temporal properties of Petri nets, expressed in a propositional modal mucalculus which subsumes many other temporal logics. The system separates the checking of fix-points from the rest of the logic, which allows the use of powerful reasoning, perhaps specific to a class of nets or an individual net, to prove liveness and fairness properties. Examples are given to illustrate the use of the system. The proofs of soundness and completeness are given in detail.
KeywordsPetri nets temporal logic tableau systems model-checking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Best, E. . Structure theory of Petri nets: the free choice hiatus. Advances in Petri Nets 1986, Part I. LNCS 254.Google Scholar
- Bradfield, J. C., Stirling, C. P. . Local model-checking for infinite state spaces. To appear in Theoretical Computer Science.Google Scholar
- Clarke, E. M., Emerson, E. A., Sistla, A. P. . Automatic verification of finitestate concurrent systems using temporal logic specifications: a practical approach. Proc. Tenth ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages. ACM, Austin, Texas.Google Scholar
- Emerson, E. A., Lei, C.-L. . Efficient model checking in fragments of the propositional mu-calculus. Proc. First IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science (267–278). Computer Society Press.Google Scholar
- Hüttel, H.  SnS can be modally characterized. Theoretical Computer Science 74 (239–248).Google Scholar
- Kozen, D. . Results on the propositional mu-calculus. Theoretical Computer Science 27.Google Scholar
- Lautenbach, K. . Linear algebraic techniques for place/transition nets. Advances in Petri Nets 1986, Part I. LNCS 254.Google Scholar
- Pratt, V. . A decidable mu-calculus. Proc. 22nd IEEE Foundations of Computer Science.Google Scholar
- Stirling, C. P., Walker, D. J. . Local model checking in the modal mu-calculus. Proc. International Joint Conference on Theory and Practice of Software Development (369–382). LNCS 351.Google Scholar