An approach to maintaining optimized relational representations of entity-relationship schemas
This paper presents a redesign method for maintaining optimized relational representations of entity-relationship schemas. This method is based on the generation of a transient virtual database state that is used to construct the new database state and that can be obtained without modifying the current relational representation. It also provides means to collect additional data and to integrate them to the the current database state, as well as to check for new integrity constraints.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Batini, C., Ceri, S. and Navathe, S. Conceptual Database Design: An Entity-Relationship Approach, Benjamin Cummings (1992).Google Scholar
- 2.Casanova, M.A., Tucherman, L., Furtado, A.L. and Pacheco, A.“Optimization of relational schemas containing inclusion dependencies”. Proc. 15th Int. Conf. on Very Large Data Bases, Amsterdam, Holland (1989).Google Scholar
- 3.Casanova, M.A., Tucherman, L. and Laender, A.H.F. “Algorithms for designing and maintaining optimized relational representations of entity-relationship schemas”, in Kangassalo, H. (ed.), Entity-Relationship Approach: The Core of Conceptual Modelling, North-Holland (1991).Google Scholar
- 4.Casanova, M.A., Tucherman, L. and Laender, A.H.F,“On the design and maintenance of optimized relational representations of entity-relationship schemas”, Data and Knowledge Engineering 11, 1 (1993).Google Scholar
- 5.Castilho, J.M.“A State-Space Approach for Database Redesign”, in Elmasri, R.A., Kouramajian, V. and Thalheim, B. (eds.), Entity-Relationship Approach — ER'93, Springer-Verlag (1994).Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, P.P.,“The entity-relationship model: toward a unified view of data”, ACM TODS 1, 1 (1976).Google Scholar
- 7.Elmasri, R. and Navathe, S. Fundamentals of Database Systems, 2nd ed. Benjamin Cummings (1994).Google Scholar
- 8.Hainaut, J-L., Tonneau C., Joris M. and Chandelon M.“Schema Transformation Techniques for Database Reverse Engineering”, in Elmasri, R.A., Kouramajian, V. and Thalheim, B. (eds.), Entity-Relationship Approach — ER'93, Springer-Verlag (1994).Google Scholar
- 9.Liu, C.T., Chang, S.K. and Chrysanthis, P.K.“Database Schema Evolution using EVER Diagrams”, Proc. of the Workshop on Advanced Visual Interfaces, Bari, Italy (June 1994).Google Scholar
- 10.Markowitz, V.M. and Makowsky, J.A.“Incremental Reorganization of Relational Databases”, Proc. 13th Int. Conf. on Very Large Data Bases, Brighton, England (Sept. 1987).Google Scholar
- 11.Markowitz, V.M. and Shoshani, A. “Representing extended entity-relationship structures in relational databases: a modular approach”, ACM TODS 17, 3 (Sept. 1992).Google Scholar
- 12.Silva, A.S. A Contribution to the Problem of Maintaining Optimized Relational Representations of Entity-Relationship Schemas, MSc Dissertation, Department of Computer Science, UFMG (1995). (in Portuguese)Google Scholar
- 13.Teorey, T.J., Yang, D. and Fry, J.P. “A logical design methodology for relational databases using the extended entity-relationship model”, ACM Computing Survey 18, 2 (June 1986).Google Scholar