Operations on records
We define a simple collection of operations for creating and manipulating record structures, where records are intended as finite associations of values to labels. We study a second-order type system over these operations, supporting both subtyping and polymorphism. Our approach unifies and extends previous notions of records, bounded quantification, record extension, and parametrization by row-variables. The general aim is to provide foundations for concepts found in object-oriented languages, within the framework of typed lambda-calculus.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Car88]L. Cardelli. A semantics of multiple inheritance. Information and Computation, 76:138–164, 1988. Special issue devoted to Symp. on Semantics of Data Types, Sophia-Antipolis (France), 1984.Google Scholar
- [CW85]L. Cardelli and P. Wegner. On understanding types, data abstraction, and polymorphism. Computing Surveys, 17(4):471–522, 1985.Google Scholar
- [JM88]L. Jategaonkar and J.C. Mitchell. ML with extended pattern matching and subtypes. In Proc. ACM Symp. Lisp and Functional Programming Languages, pages 198–212, July 1988.Google Scholar
- [Mil78]R. Milner. A theory of type polymorphism in programming. JCSS, 17:348–375, 1978.Google Scholar
- [Mit84]J.C. Mitchell. Coercion and type inference (summary). In Proc. 11-th ACM Symp. on Principles of Programming Languages, pages 175–185, January 1984.Google Scholar
- [OB88]A. Ohori and P. Buneman. Type inference in a database language. In Proc. ACM Symp. Lisp and Functional Programming Languages, pages 174–183, July 1988.Google Scholar
- [Rém89]D. Rémy. Typechecking records and variants in a natural extension of ML. In 16-th ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages, pages 60–76, 1989.Google Scholar
- [Wan87]M. Wand. Complete type inference for simple objects. In Proc. 2-nd IEEE Symp. on Logic in Computer Science, pages 37–44, 1987. Corrigendum in Proc. 3-rd IEEE Symp. on Logic in Computer Science, page 132, 1988.Google Scholar
- [Wan89]M. Wand. Type inference for record concatenation and simple objects. In Proc. 4-nd IEEE Symp. on Logic in Computer Science, pages 92–97, 1989.Google Scholar