Graph-reducible term rewriting systems
Term rewriting is commonly implemented by graph reduction in order to improve efficiency. In general, however, graph reduction is not complete: a term may be not normalizable through graph derivations although a normal form exists. Term rewriting systems which permit a complete implementation by graph reduction are called graph-reducible. We show that the following property is sufficient for graph-reducibility: every term having a normal form can be normalized by parallel term rewrite steps in which a rule is applied to all occurrences of some subterm. As a consequence, a broad class of term rewriting systems which includes all terminating and all orthogonal systems can be shown to be graph-reducible.
Keywordsterm rewriting graph reduction completeness of graph reduction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BEGKPS 87]H.P. Barendregt, M.C.J.D. van Eekelen, J.R.W. Glauert, J.R. Kennaway, M.J. Plasmeijer, M.R. Sleep: Term Graph Rewriting. Proc. PARLE, Lecture Notes in Comp. Sci. 259, 141–158 (1987)Google Scholar
- [Der 87]N. Dershowitz: Termination of Rewriting. Journal of Symbolic Computation, vol. 3, no. 1/2, 69–115 (1987). Corrigendum: vol. 4, no. 3, 409–410Google Scholar
- [DJ 90]N. Dershowitz, J.-P. Jouannaud: Rewrite Systems. In J. van Leeuwen (ed.): Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science. Vol. B, North-Holland (1990)Google Scholar
- [HKP 88]A. Habel, H.-J. Kreowski, D. Plump: Jungle Evaluation. Proc. Fifth Workshop on Specification of Abstract Data Types, Lecture Notes in Comp. Sci. 332, 92–112 (1988)Google Scholar
- [HP 88]B. Hoffmann, D. Plump: Jungle Evaluation for Efficient Term Rewriting. Proc. Algebraic and Logic Programming, Akademie-Verlag, Berlin, 191–203 (1988). Also in Lecture Notes in Comp. Sci. 343 (1989). Long version to appear in RAIRO Theoretical Informatics and ApplicationsGoogle Scholar
- [Klo 90]J.W. Klop: Term Rewriting Systems — From Church-Rosser to Knuth-Bendix and Beyond. Proc. ICALP '90, Lecture Notes in Comp. Sci. 443, 350–369 (1990)Google Scholar
- [O'D 77]M.J. O'Donnell: Computing in Systems Described by Equations. Lecture Notes in Comp. Sci. 58 (1977)Google Scholar
- [Plu 91]D. Plump: Implementing Term Rewriting by Graph Reduction: Termination of Combined Systems. Proc. 2nd Int. Workshop on Conditional and Typed Rewriting Systems, Montreal 1990, to appear in Lecture Notes in Comp. Sci.Google Scholar
- [Toy 87]