Graph rewriting in some categories of partial morphisms
We present a definition of term graph rewriting as the taking of a pushout in a category of partial morphisms, adapting the rather ad hoc definitions we gave in [Ken87] so as to use a standard category-theoretic concept of partial morphism. This single-pushout construction is shown to coincide with the well-known double-pushout description of graph rewriting whenever the latter is defined. In general, the conditions for the single pushout to exist are weaker than those required for the double pushout. In some categories of graphs, no conditions at all are necessary.
Keywordsgraph rewriting partial morphism hypergraph term graph jungle category double pushout single pushout
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [EPS73]H. Ehrig, M. Pfender, and H.J. Schneider “Graph-grammars: an algebraic approach”, Proc. IEEE Conf. on Automata and Switching Theory, 167–180, 1973.Google Scholar
- [GKS89]J.R.W. Glauert, J.R. Kennaway, and M.R. Sleep “Final specification of Dactl”, Report SYS-C88-11, University of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K., 1989Google Scholar
- [GKS90]J.R.W.Glauert, J.R.Kennaway and M.R.Sleep “Dactl: An Experimental Graph Rewriting Language”, these proceedings, 1990.Google Scholar
- [GHKPS88]J.R.W. Glauert, K. Hammond, J.R. Kennaway, G.A. Papadopoulos, and M.R. Sleep “Dactl: some introductory papers”, Report SYS-C88-08, University of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K., 1988Google Scholar
- [HP88]B. Hoffmann and D. Plump “Jungle evaluation for efficient term rewriting”, Report 4/88, Fachbereich Mathematik und Informatil, Universität Bremen, Postfach 330 440, D-2800 Bremen 33, Germany, 1988. An earlier version appeared in Proc. Int. Workshop on Algebraic and Logic Programming, 1988. Mathematical Research, 49. (Akademie-Verlag, Berlin, 1988).Google Scholar
- [KKSV9-]J.R. Kennaway, J.W. Klop, M.R. Sleep and F.-J. de Vries “Transfinite reductions in orthogonal term rewrite systems” (in preparation, 199-).Google Scholar
- [LE90]M. Löwe and H. Ehrig “Algebraic appraoch to graph transformation based on single pushout derivations” (unpublished, 1990).Google Scholar
- [PEM86]F. Parisi-Presicce, H. Ehrig, and U. Montanari “Graph rewriting with unification and composition”, Proc. 3rd Int. Workshop on Graph Grammars, LNCS 291, 496–514, Springer-Verlag, 1986.Google Scholar
- [Rob88]E. Robinson and G. Rosolini “Categories of partial maps”, Inf. & Comp., 79, 95–130, 1988.Google Scholar