Graphs as relational structures : An algebraic and logical approach
Relational structures form a unique framework in which various types of graphs and hypergraphs can be formalized and studied. We define operations on structures that are compatible with monadic second-order logic, and that are powerful enough to represent context-free graph- and hypergraph-grammars of various types, namely, hyperedge replacement, C-edNCE, and separated handle replacement ones. Several results on monadic second-order properties of the generated sets are obtained in a uniform way.
KeywordsContext-free graph-grammar C-edNCE graph-grammar Graphs Graph operation Hypergraph Hyperedge replacement Monadic second-order logic Monadic second-order definable graph transformation Relational structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- COURCELLE B., A representation of graphs by algebraic expressions and its use for graph rewriting systems, Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Graph Grammars, L.N.C.S. 291, Springer, 1987, pp. 112–132.Google Scholar
- COURCELLE B., On context-free sets of graphs and their monadic second-order theory, same volume as , pp. 133–146.Google Scholar
- COURCELLE B., Graph rewriting: An algebraic and logic approach, in "Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science,Volume B", J. Van Leeuwen ed., Elsevier,1990, pp.193–242Google Scholar
- COURCELLE B., The monadic second-order logic of graphs V: On closing the gap between definability and recognizability, Research Report 89–91, Bordeaux I University, to appear in Theor. Comput. Sci.Google Scholar
- COURCELLE B., The monadic second order logic of graphs VI: On several representations of graphs by relational structures, Report 89-99, (see also Logic in Computer Science 1990, Philadelphia).Google Scholar
- COURCELLE B., The monadic second-order logic of graphs VII: Graphs as relational structures, in preparation.Google Scholar
- COURCELLE B., ENGELFRIET J., A logical characterization of hypergraph languages generated by hyperedge replacement grammars, in preparation.Google Scholar
- COURCELLE B., ENGELFRIET J., ROZENBERG G., Handle-rewriting hypergraph grammars, this volume.(Long version as research report 90-84, Bordeaux-I University, or reports 90-08 and 90-09 of the University of Leiden).Google Scholar
- ENGELFRIET J., A characterization of context-free NCE graph languages by monadic-second order logic on trees, preprint, 1990.Google Scholar
- HABEL A., KREOWSKI H.J., May we introduce to you: Hyperedge replacement, same volume as , pp. 15–26.Google Scholar