Case-based learning of strategic knowledge
In this paper we describe bolero, a case-based reasoner that learns strategic knowledge (plans) to improve the problem-solving capabilities of an expert system. As a planner, bolero is a reactive planner that when gathering new observations can immediately generate a new plan to cope with the new situations. As a learner, bolero is capable of learning strategies from observation of the problem-solving performed by a teacher. From this experience, bolero plans strategies that solve new problems. bolero learns from success and failure during its problem-solving process. An evaluation to measure the efficiency of bolero is performed by comparing the system's results against both the correct solution of a case and the solutions provided by different domain experts. bolero has been proved useful in acquiring strategic knowledge and in refining existing strategies, in a real-life expert system for pneumonia diagnosis.
KeywordsStrategy learning case-based learning planing control knowledge
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bareiss E.R., Porter B.W. & Wier C.C. Protos: An exemplar-based learning apprentice, Proc. 4th International Workshop on Machine Learning, University of California, Irvine, 1987.Google Scholar
- Carbonell J., Personal Communication, 1990.Google Scholar
- Cohen P.R. The control of reasoning under uncertainty: A discussion of some programs, COINS Technical Report 87-81, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 1987.Google Scholar
- Davis R. Interactive transfer of expertise, Rule-Based Expert Systems., Edited by B.G. Buchanan & E.H. Shortliffe, Addison-Wesley, 1984.Google Scholar
- Godo L., López de Màntaras R., Sierra C.& Verdaguer A. MILORD: The architecture and the management of linguistically expressed uncertainty, International Journal of Intelligent Systems, Vol. 4, Num. 4, Winter 1989.Google Scholar
- Gruber T.R. The acquisition of strategic knowledge, Academic Press, Inc., 1989.Google Scholar
- Hammond K.J. Case-Based Planning. Academic Press Inc., 1989.Google Scholar
- Kodratoff Y. & Ganascia J.G. Improving the generalization step in learning, Machine Learning, Vol. II, Morgan Kaufmann Pub., 1986.Google Scholar
- Kolodner J.L. Retrieving events from a case memory: A parallel implementation, DARPA Workshop on Case-Based Reasoning, 1987.Google Scholar
- Minton S., Carbonell J.G., Etzioni O., Knoblock C.A.& Kuokka D.R. Acquiring effective search control rules: Explanation-based learning in the PRODIGY system, Proc. 4th International Workshop on Machine Learning, University of California, Irvine, 1987.Google Scholar
- Plaza E. & López de Màntaras R. ARC: Learning typicality knowledge from fuzzy examples, In Ras, Zemankova, Emrich (Eds.), Methodologies for Intelligent systems 5, p.420–427. North-Holland, 1990.Google Scholar
- Verdaguer, A. PNEUMON-IA: Desenvolupament i validació d'un sistema expert d'ajuda al diagnòstic mèdic, PhD. Thesis, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, July 1989.Google Scholar