Managing the TMN
Metamanagement provides a means to manage the management processes, systems and software comprising a TMN system. In this paper we present the basic requirements of metamanagement, the design and implementation of these TMN metamanagement extensions. The OSI Directory Service is used to store information about the TMN resources, CMIS/CMIP is the basic management service/protocol, and FTAM is used for distribution of software and configuration files. Metamanagement agents communicate with other specialised management processes, providing the TMN metamanagement service, according to the OSI manager/agent model. We show how this model is used to aid the configuration of prototype TMNs and how this can be automated to evolve to a self-managed, self-configured TMN.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [M. 3010]ITU/CCITT Recommendation M. 3010, Principles for a Telecommunications Management Network, Geneva, October 1992.Google Scholar
- [M. 3200]ITU Recommendation M. 3200, TMN Management Services: Overview, Geneve, October 1992.Google Scholar
- [D10040]ISO/IEC DIS 10040, Information Technology — Open Systems Interconnection — Systems Management Overview, June 1991Google Scholar
- [X. 500]ITU/CCITT Recommendation X. 500, The Directory — Overview of Concepts, Models and Services, December 1988.Google Scholar
- [Pav93a]Pavlou, G., S. Bhatti and G. Knight, OSIMIS User Manual Version 1. O for System Version 3. 0, 02/93Google Scholar
- [Pav93b]Pavlou G., The OSIMIS TMN Platform: Support for Multiple Technology Integrated Management Systems, Proceedings of the 1st RACE IS&N Conference, Paris, 11/93Google Scholar
- [Gri95]Griffin D., Georgatsos P., A TMN system for VPC and routing management in ATM networks, Proceedings of the fourth international symposium on integrated network management, ISINM95, ed. Sethi A., et al. Chapman & Hall 1995. p356Google Scholar
- [Sta95]Stathopoulos C., Griffin D., Sartzetakis S.: Handling the Distribution of Information in the TMN, Proceedings of the fourth international symposium on integrated network management, ISINM95, ed. Sethi A., et al. Chapman & Hall 1995. p398Google Scholar
- [Bar94]Barker Paul, Implementing FTP archive searching using X. 500, Internet Draft, (aka OSI-DS 40), version3, October 1994.Google Scholar
- [Kil95]Kille, E. S. (1991) Implementing X. 400 and X. 500: The PP and QUIPU Systems, Artech House, Boston MA.Google Scholar