ATM network simulation support for TMN systems
RACE Project R2059 ICM is developing cell rate ATM network simulators for use in the development and testing of a generic Telecommunications Management Network (TMN) test bed. The simulator is used as a substitute for a physical ATM network and enables the TMN to be tested in a controlled environment before interfacing with the real network. The simulator is able to provide a number of major enhancements over current ATM networks enabling more extensive and thorough evaluation of the TMN. This paper describes the functionality of the simulator and the underlying modelling principles. It emphasises the interaction of the simulator with the TMN system and the facilities of the simulation models to aid this interaction. The paper shows how the simulator is being used to model a Virtual Private Network for the final ICM case study, in particular concentrating on the use of generic reusable components (User, Call Handler and Switch models) for simulating additional entities such as the Customer Premises Network, the Interworking Unit, and the Gateway between two ATM networks.
KeywordsSimulation ATM Cell Rate Burst Level VPN TMN
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BOCCI94]M Bocci, J M Pitts, E M Scharf, “Performance of Time Stepping Mechanism for Parallel Cell Rate Simulation of ATM Networks”, 11th IEE UK Teletraffic Symposium, April 1994Google Scholar
- [ICM92]CEC RACE R2059 ICM Deliverable 3; “Selection of Networks, Network Interfaces and Definition of Testbed Laboratory”; R2059/VTT/TEL/DS/R/004/b1; December 1992Google Scholar
- [MEIS91]B.Meister, N.Karatzas, P.Georgatsos “Modelling of ATM networks”, 5th RACE TMN Conference, London, 1991.Google Scholar
- [MEIS92]B.Meister, P.Georgatsos, N.Karatzas “Switch models for TMN applications”, 6th RACE TMN Conference, Madeira, 1992.Google Scholar
- [MIME93]CEC RACE R1084 MIME Deliverable 26, “Final Experiment Reports — Recommendation on Definition of a Common TMN Testbed”, R1084/AL/ISD/DS/C/026/B1, Feb 1993Google Scholar
- [MOUR95]K.E.Mourelatou, D. Griffin, P. Georgatsos, G. Mykoniatis, “ATM VPN services: Provisioning, Operational and Management Aspects”, IFIP TC6, 3rd Workshop on Performance Modelling and Evaluation of ATM Networks, West Yorkshire, UK, July 2–6, 1995Google Scholar
- [NEME92]CEC RACE R1005 NEMESYS Deliverable 11; “Conclusions of Project NEMESYS”; 05/KT/AS/DS/B/028/bl; December 1992Google Scholar
- [PITTS90]J M Pitts, Z Sun, “Burst Level Teletraffic Modelling and Simulation of Broadband Multiservice Networks”, 7th IEE UK Teletraffic Symposium, April 1990Google Scholar