Edge contours using multiple scales
An edge linking agorithm is presented that first computes gradient magnitude then uses non-maxima suppression to reduce the search space. The gradient magnitude and direction information is used to assign weights to paths through the set of points, and the best path is chosen. The single scale algorithm uses a depth first search, but each point is allowed to occur in only one subtree. This algorithm is extended to one which links edge points detected at multiple scales. A second variation is presented which uses the gradient information at multiple scales in the non-maxima suppression operation. A modified version of the single scale algorithm then links these edge points into contours. The first multi-scale method fills in gaps in single-scale contours, however the second method provides better localization and separation of nearby edges. Both improve detection of edges over the single-scale algorithm without introducing the noisy edges detected at the smaller scales.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- V. Berzins Accuracy of laplacian edge detectors. CVGIP, 27:195–210, 1984.Google Scholar
- F. Bergholm. Edge focusing. IEEE Trans. on PAMI, 9(6):726–741, 1987.Google Scholar
- J. F. Canny. Finding Edges and Lines in Images. Master's thesis, MIT, 1983.Google Scholar
- D. Marr and E. Hildreth. Theory of edge detection. In Proc. R. Soc. Lond., pages 187–217, 1980.Google Scholar
- R. Nevatia and K. R. Babu. Linear feature extraction and description. Computer Graphics and Image Processing, 13:257–269, 1980.Google Scholar
- M. Shah, A. Sood, and R. Jain. Pulse and staircase edge models. Computer Vision, Graphics, and Image Processing, 34:321–341, June, 1986.Google Scholar
- D. Williams and M. Shah. Edge Contours. Technical Report CS-TR-88-18, University of Central Florida, Computer Science Department, Sept, 1988.Google Scholar
- D. Williams and M. Shah. Multiple Scale Edge Linking. In Trivedi, M. M., editor, Applications of Artificial Intelligence VII, pages 13–24, SPIE, 1989.Google Scholar
- A. Witkin Scale-space filtering. In Internat. Joint Conf. on A.I., pages 1019–1021, 1983.Google Scholar