Combining Petri nets and PA-processes
Petri nets and PA-processes are incomparable models of infinite state concurrent systems. We define a new model PAN (= PA + PN) that subsumes both of them and is thus strictly more expressive than Petri nets. It extends Petri nets with the possibility to call subroutines. We show that the reachability problem is still decidable for PAN. It is even decidable, if there is a reachable state that satisfies certain properties that can be encoded in a simple logic.
KeywordsPetri nets PA-processes Process algebra reachability problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BEH95]A. Bouajjani, R. Echahed, and P. Habermehl. Verifying infinite state processes with sequential and parallel composition. In Proceedings of POPL'95, pages 95–106. ACM Press, 1995.Google Scholar
- [BH96]A. Bouajjani and P. Habermehl. Constrained properties, semilinear systems, and petri nets. In Ugo Montanari and Vladimiro Sassone, editors, Proceedings of CONCUR'96, number 1119 in LNCS. Springer Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- [BS94]O. Burkart and B. Steffen. Pushdown processes: Parallel composition and model checking. In CONCUR'94, number 836 in LNCS, pages 98–113. Springer Verlag, 1994.Google Scholar
- [Chr93]S. Christensen. Decidability and Decomposition in Process Algebras. PhD thesis, Edinburgh University, 1993.Google Scholar
- [EK95]J. Esparza and A. Kiehn. On the model checking problem for branching time logics and basic parallel processes. In CAV'95, number 939 in LNCS, pages 353–366. Springer Verlag, 1995.Google Scholar
- [Esp96][Esp96] J. Esparza. More infinite results. In B. Steffen and T. Margaria, editors, Proceedings of INFINITY'96, number MIP-9614 in Technical report series of the University of Passau. University of Passau, 1996.Google Scholar
- [Esp97]J. Esparza. Decidability of model checking for infinite-state concurrent systems. Acta Informatica, 34:85–107, 1997.Google Scholar
- [Kuc96]A. Kucera. Regularity is decidable for normed pa processes in polynomial time. In Foundations of Software Technology and Theoretical Computer Science (FSTTCS'96), number 1180 in LNCS. Springer Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- [May84]E. Mayr. An algorithm for the general petri net reachability problem. SIAM Journal of Computing, 13:441–460, 1984.Google Scholar
- [May96a]Richard Mayr. Model checking pa-processes. Technical Report TUM-19640, TU-München, December 1996. To appear in CONCUR'97.Google Scholar
- [May96b]Richard Mayr. Weak bisimulation and model checking for basic parallel processes. In Foundations of Software Technology and Theoretical Computer Science (FSTTCS'96), number 1I80 in LNCS. Springer Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- [May97]Richard Mayr. Tableau methods for pa-processes. In Analytic Tableaux and Related Methods (TABLEA UX'97), LNAL Springer Verlag, 1997. to appear.Google Scholar