A comparison of the PRISM and OMNI-point methodologies for the specification of management systems
This paper compares methodologies for the specification of Service Management systems, proposed by two groups, RACE project PRISM and the NMForum (Network Management Forum) OMNI Point 1 approach. The PRISM Methodology has been under development since 1992 by 21 European companies (including the paper authors). This paper presents the scope of both approaches, by considering, as far as possible, what the output of each methodology consists of. This is done as it is easier to compare methodologies by looking at what must be concretely specified as output of methodologies rather than by merely comparing their process and steps. First, both approaches are presented separately, for ease of understanding and since there is not a straight-forward one-to-one mapping between them.
A comparison of the scope of both methodologies is then given, by highlighting areas of overlap (or competition) and areas where they complement each other. Some of the comparisons made, draw on aspects outside the actual methodologies in order to further examine the scope of the approaches of both consortia. Finally conclusions on the result of the comparison are drawn. The comparison should be valuable to the network and service management research and implementation communities, as they are now actively in the process of specifying and designing multi-domain management systems whose interoperable interfaces are derived from TMN.
KeywordsTMN Management Services Distribution Enterprise Modelling Information Modelling ODP NM Forum OMNIPoint Interdomain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- PRISM Deliverable 4, Service Management Reference Configuration, Overview Framework and Examples, September 1993.Google Scholar
- CCITT Recommendation M.3010, Principles for a Telecommunication Management Network, October 1992.Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 21/N 7053 (CCITT X.901) Draft Recommendation, Basic Reference Model of Open Distributed Processing — Part 1: Overview and Guide to Use, December 1993.Google Scholar
- PRISM deliverable 7: VPN and IN Services Management-Vol III, June 1994.Google Scholar
- Object Oriented Modelling and Design, James Rumbaugh et al, Prentice Hall, 1991.Google Scholar
- OMNIPoint 1 Specifications and Technical Reports, Books 1 and 2. Network Management Forum, August 1992.Google Scholar
- Discovering OMNIPoint 1 — A common Approach to the Integrated Management of Networked Information Systems, Prentice Hall, 1993.Google Scholar