Security requirements of the TMN X-interface within end-to-end service management of virtual private networks
This paper1 examines the issue of providing security for the exchange of VPN management data over the TMN X-interface. In particular it introduces the concept of what security is in this context and examines the security requirements of this interface. The aim is to aid the designers of TMN security systems which are necessary in the future. Finally an overview of the current status of the ISO security related standards work and the extent to which it meets the identified requirements is presented.
KeywordsSecurity threats TMN X-interface VPN management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [DONNELLY]W. Donnelly and M. Tschichholz The PREPARE Management Information Service VPN Inter-Domain Management using an Integrated X.500 and X.700 Information Model Proceedings of the RACE IS&N Conference, Paris, (1993).Google Scholar
- [H210]IBC Common Functional Specification TMN Security Architecture Specification RACE H210, December (1993).Google Scholar
- [H211]Common Functional Specification Security of Service Management Specification RACE H211, January, (1994).Google Scholar
- [LEWIS]D. Lewis and W. Donnelly Managing Broadband VPN Services in the PREPARE Testbed Proceedings of the RACE IS&N Conference, Paris, (1993).Google Scholar
- [OCONNELL]S. O'Connell and A. Patel Provision of Network Security in a Health Care Environment Israel, MIE' 93.Google Scholar
- [OMICOM]Communications Standards — Part 1 — ISO Document List, OMICOM PPI Ltd., March, (1993).Google Scholar
- [PFLEEGER]S. L. Pfleeger: A Framework for Security Requirements Computers & Security, Volume 10, pp. 515–523, (1991).Google Scholar
- [PLAGEMANN]S. Plagemann Impact of Open Network Provisioning (ONP) on TMN Proceedings of the RACE IS&N Conference, Paris, (1993).Google Scholar
- [SCHNEIDER]J. M. Schneider and W. Donnelly An Open Architecture for Inter-Domain Communications Management in the PREPARE Testbed. Broadband Islands Conference Proceedings, Athens, (1993).Google Scholar
- [WACK]J. Wack and L. Carnahan Computer Viruses and Related Threat — A Management Guide NIST Special Publication, 500–166.Google Scholar