IZIC: a portable language-driven tool for mathematical surfaces visualization
This paper presents IZIC, a stand-alone high-quality 3D graphic tool driven by a command language. IZIC is an interactive version of ZICLIB, a 3D graphic library allowing efficient curve and surface manipulations using a virtual graphic device. Capabilities of ZICLIB include management of pseudo or true colors, illumination model, shading, transparency, etc. As an interactive tool, IZIC is run as a Unix server which can be driven from one or more Computer Algebra Systems, including Maple, Mathematica, and Ulysse, or through an integrated user interface such as CAS/PI. Connecting IZIC with a different system is a very simple task which can be achieved at run-time and require no compilation. Also important is the possibility to drive IZIC both through its freely-reconfigurable menus-buttons user interface, and through its command language, allowing for instance the animation of surfaces in a very flexible way.
KeywordsComputer Algebra meshed surfaces graphic tool rendering TCL
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [CGG+88]B. W. Char, K. O. Geddes, G. H. Gonnet, M. B. Monagan, and S. M. Watt. Maple Reference Manual, 5th Edition, 1988. Watcom Publications Limited, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.Google Scholar
- [Fou92]R. Fournier. ZICVIS et la ZIClib — Visualisation de maillages de surfaces. Version 1.6. INRIA, Sophia Antipolis. French INRIA internal report.Google Scholar
- [FVDFH90]J. Foley, A. Van Dam, S. Feiner, and J. Hughes. Computer Graphics — Principles and Practices, 2nd edition. Addison-Wesley, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Kaj92a]N. Kajler. Building a Computer Algebra Environment by Composition of Collaborative Tools. In Proc. of DISCO'92, Bath, GB, April 1992.Google Scholar
- [Kaj92b]N. Kajler. CAS/PI: a Portable and Extensible Interface for Computer Algebra Systems. In Proc. of ISSAC'92, pages 376–386, Berkeley, USA, July 1992. ACM Press.Google Scholar
- [Ous90]J. K. Ousterhout. Tcl: An embeddable command language. In 1990 Winter USENIX Conference Proceedings. Univ. of California at Berkeley, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Ous91]J. K. Ousterhout. An X11 Toolkit Based on the Tcl Language. In 1991 Winter USENIX Conference Proceedings. Univ. of California at Berkeley, 1991.Google Scholar
- [Wan90]P. S. Wang. A System Independent Graphing Package for Mathematical Functions. In DISCO'90, pages 145–154, Capri, Italy, April 1990. LNCS 429, Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar