The normal approximation and queue control for response times in a processor-shared computer system model
Represent a time-shared computer system as a group of N terminals, each having submission rate λ and exponential (μ) task durations, with tasks submitted to a central (single) processor. There they are serviced in processor-sharing or time-sliced mode. It is shown that the R(t), the response time conditional on t , the required processing time, becomes approximately normally distributed as t increases. Similar results are derived when N increases.
Variations of the model consider control: an "inside," processor-shared queue services at most c tasks, others queueing first-come first-served "outside." Other possibilities are described and analyzed.
KeywordsResponse Time Processor Sharing Naval Postgraduate School Generalize Processor Sharing Require Processing Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burman, D. (1979), "An analytic approach to diffusion approximations in queueing". Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, New York University.Google Scholar
- Cinlar, E. (1975), Introduction to Stochastic Processes, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.Google Scholar
- Coffman, E. G., Muntz, R. R. and Trotter, H. (1970), "Waiting time distribution for processor-sharing systems," J. Assn. for Comp. Mach., 17, pp. 123–130.Google Scholar
- Cox, D. R. (1962), Renewal Theory, Methuen Monograph.Google Scholar
- Gaver, D. P., and Lehoczky, J. P. (1976), "Gaussian approximation to service problems: a communications system example," J. Appl. Prob., 13, pp. 768–780.Google Scholar
- Gaver, D., Jacobs, P. and Latouche, G. (1981). "Finite birth and death models in randomly changing environments". To appear J. Appl. Prob. Google Scholar
- Iglehart, D. L. (1965), "Limiting diffusion approximations for the many-server queue and the repairman problem," J. Appl. Prob., 2, pp.Google Scholar
- Karlin, S., and Taylor, H. M. (1975), A First Course in Stochastic Processes, (Second Edition). Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Keilson, J. (1979), Markov Chain Models — Rarity and Exponentiality, Springer-Verlag, New York.Google Scholar
- Kelly, F. P. (1979), Reversibility and Stochastic Networks, John Wiley and Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Kleinrock, L. (1976), Queueing Systems, Vol. II, Wiley-Interscience.Google Scholar
- Lavenberg, S. S. and Reiser, M. (1980), "Stationary state probabilities at arrival instants for closed queueing networks with multiple types of customers," J. Appl. Prob., 17, pp. 1048–1061.Google Scholar
- Mitra, D. (1981), "Waiting time distributions from closed queueing network models of shared processor systems," Bell Laboratories Report.Google Scholar
- Cohen, J. W. (1979), "The multiple phase service network with generalized processor sharing. Acta Informatica 12 245–284.Google Scholar