A general performance model for multistage interconnection networks
In this paper we analyze the general case of Multistage Interconnection Networks (MINs), made of k × k switches with finite, infinite or zero length buffers (unbuffered). The exact solution of the steady state distribution of the first stage is derived for all cases. We use this to get an approximation for the steady state distributions in the second stage and beyond. In the case of unbuffered switches we reach the known exact solution for all the stages of the MIN. Our results are validated by extensive simulations.
Keywordsanalytical models queueing theory models evaluation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Bouras, J. Garofalakis, P. Spirakis and V. Triantafillou, Queueing Delays in Buffered Multistage Interconnection Networks, Proc. of the ACM Sigmetrics Conference 1987, pp. 111–121Google Scholar
- 2.A. Gottlieb, R. Grishman, C. P. Kruscal, K. P. McAuliffe, L. Rudolph, M. Snir, The NYU Ultracomputer-Designing an MIMD Shared Memory Parallel Computer, IEEE Trans. Computers, Vol. C-32, No. 2, Febr. 1983, pp. 175–189Google Scholar
- 3.G.F. Goke, G.J.Lipovski Banyan Networks for Partitioning Multiprocessor Systems, Proc. 1st Ann. Symp. on Computer Architecture, 1973, pp. 21–28Google Scholar
- 4.J. Garofalakis, P. Spirakis The performance of Mutlistage Interconnection Networks with Finite Buffers, Proc. of the ACM SIGMETRICS Conference, 1990, short paper.Google Scholar
- 5.R.R. Koch Increasing the size of a Network by a constant factor Can Increase Performance by More Than a Constant Factor, IEEE Symp. on Found. of Comp. Sc. (FOCS 88), pp. 221–231Google Scholar
- 6.C.P. Kruskal, M. Snir The performance of multistage interconnection networks for multiprocessors, IEEE Trans. Comp., vol. C-32, Dec 1983, pp. 1091–1098Google Scholar
- 7.C.P. Kruskal, M. Snir, A. Weiss The Distribution of Waiting Times in Closed Multistage Interconnection Networks, IEEE Trans. on Computers, vol. 32, 1988, p. 1337–1352Google Scholar
- 8.J.H. Patel, Performance of processor-memory interconnection for multiprocessors IEEE Trans. on Computing, vol. C-30, 1981, pp. 771–780Google Scholar
- 9.G. Pfister, M. C. Brantley, D. A. George, S. L. Harvey, W. J. Kleinfelder, K. P. McAuliffe, E. A. Melton, V. A. Norton, J. Weiss, The IBM Research Parallel Processor Prototype (RP3): Introduction and Architecture, Proc. 1985 Int. Conf. Parallel Processing, pp. 764-771Google Scholar
- 10.R. Rehrmann, B. Monien, R. Luling, R. Diemann, On the Communication Throughput of Buffered Multistage Interconnection Networks, ACM SPAA'96, pp. 152–161Google Scholar