Numerical experiments with a parallel fast direct elliptic solver on Cray T3E
A parallel fast direct O(N log N) solver is shortly described for linear systems with separable block tridiagonal matrices. A good parallel scalability of the proposed method is demonstrated on a Cray T3E parallel computer using MPI in communication. Also, the sequential performance is compared with the well-known BLKTRI-implementation of the generalized. cyclic reduction method using a single processor of Cray T3E.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Banegas, A.: Fast Poisson solvers for problems with sparsity. Math. Comp. 37 (1978) 441–446Google Scholar
- 2.Kuznetsov, Yu. A.: Numerical methods in subspaces. in Vychislitel'-nye Processy i Sistemy II, Marchuk, G. I., ed., Nauka, Moscow, 1985, 265–350 In RussianGoogle Scholar
- 3.Kuznetsov, Yu. A., Matsokin, A. M.: On partial solution of systems of linear algebraic equations. Sov. J. Numer. Anal. Math. Modelling 4 (1989) 453–468Google Scholar
- 4.Kuznetsov, Yu. A., Rossi, T.: Fast direct method for solving algebraic systems with separable symmetric band matrices. East-West J. Numer. Math. 4 (1996) 53–68Google Scholar
- 5.Rossi, T., Toivanen, J.: New variants of Divide & Conquer method arising from block cyclic reduction type formulation. Tech. Rep. 20, Laboratory of Scientific Computing, University of Jyväskylä, 1996 SubmittedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Rossi, T., Toivanen, J.: A parallel fast direct solver for block tridiagonal systems with separable matrices of arbitrary dimension. Tech. Rep. 21, Laboratory of Scientific Computing, University of Jyvä skylä, 1996 SubmittedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Swarztrauber, P. N.: Fast Poisson solvers. in Studies in Numerical Analysis, Golub, G. H., ed., vol. 24 of MAA Studies in Mathematics, Mathematical Association of America, 1985, 319-370Google Scholar
- 8.Swarztrauber, P. N., Sweet, R. A.: Efficient FORTRAN subprograms for the solution of separable elliptic partial differential equations. ACM Trans. Math. Software 5 (1979) 352–364Google Scholar
- 9.Swarztrauber, P. N., Sweet, R. A.: Vector and parallel methods for the direct solution of Poisson's equation. J. Comput. Appl. Math. 27 (1989) 241–263Google Scholar
- 10.Vajtersic, M.: Algorithms for Elliptic Problems: Efficient Sequential and Parallel Solvers. Kluwer Academic Publisher, Dordrecht, 1993.Google Scholar
- 11.Vassilevski, P. S.: Fast algorithm for solving a linear algebraic problem with separable variables. C. r. Acad. Bulg. Sci. 37 (1984) 305–308Google Scholar