Wormhole deadlock prediction
Deadlock prevention is usually realized by imposing strong restrictions on packet transmissions in the network so that the resulting deadlock free routing algorithms are not optimal with respect to resources utilization. Optimality request can be satisfied by forbidding transmissions only when they would bring the network into a configuration that will necessarily evolve into a deadlock. Hence, optimal deadlock avoidance is closely related to deadlock prediction. In this paper it is shown that wormhole deadlock prediction is an hard problem. Such result is proved with respect to both static and dynamic routing.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Arbib, G. Italiano, A. Panconesi, “Predicting deadlock in Store-and-Forward networks”, Networks, 20, 861–882, 1990.Google Scholar
- 2.B. Awerbuch, S. Kutten, D. Peleg, “Efficient deadlock-free routing”, Proc. of the Tenth Annual ACM Symposium on principles of Distributed Computing, Montreal, Canada, 177–188, 1991.Google Scholar
- 3.F. Belik, “An efficient deadlock avoidance technique”, IEEE Trans. on Computers, 39, 882–888, 1990.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Blazewicz, J. Brzezinski, G. Gambosi, “Optimization aspects of deadlock prevention in packet-switching networks”, European Journal of Operational Research, 57, 1–12, 1992.Google Scholar
- 5.D.P. Bovet, P. Crescenzi, M. Di Ianni, “Deadlock prediction in the case of dynamic routing”, Int. Journal of Foundations of Computer Science, 1, 185–199, 1990.Google Scholar
- 6.W.J. Dally, C.L. Seitz, “The torus routing chip”, Journal of Distributed Systems, 1, 187–196, 1986.Google Scholar
- 7.M.R. Garey, D.S. Johnson, Computers and intractability: a guide to the theory of NP-completeness, Freeman, San Francisco, 1979.Google Scholar
- 8.X. Lin, P.K. McKinley, L.M. Ni, “The message flow model for routing in wormholerouted networks”, Proc. Int. Conf. Parallel Processing, 1993.Google Scholar
- 9.D.H. Linder, J.C. Harden, “An adaptive and fault-tolerant wormhole routing strategy for k-ary n-cubes”, IEEE Trans. Computers, 40, 2–12, 1991.Google Scholar
- 10.P.K. McKinley, L.M. Ni, “A survey of wormhole routing techniques; in direct networks”, IEEE Computer, 62–77, 1993.Google Scholar