Efficient total-exchange in wormhole-routed toroidal cubes
The total-exchange is one of the most dense communication patterns and is at the heart of numerous applications and programming models in parallel computing. In this paper we present a simple randomized algorithm to efficiently schedule the total-exchange on.a toroidal mesh with wormhole switching. This algorithm is based on an important property of the wormhole networks that reach high performance under uniform traffic using adaptive routing.
The experimental results, conducted on a 256 nodes bi-dimensional torus, show that this algorithm reaches a very high level of performance, around 90% of the optimal bound, and is more efficient than other algorithms presented in the literature.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Dal92]William J. Dally. Virtual Channel Flow Control. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 3(2):194–205, March 1992.Google Scholar
- [Dua95]José Duato. A Necessary and Sufficient Condition for Deadlock-Free Adaptive Routing in Wormhole Networks. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 6(10):1055–1067, October 1995.Google Scholar
- [RSTG95]Satish Rao, Torsten Suel, Thanasis Tsantilas, and Mark Goudreau. Efficient Communication Using Total-Exchange. In Proceedings of the 9th International Parallel Processing Symposium, IPPS'94, Santa Barbara, CA, April 1995.Google Scholar
- [ST96]Steven L. Scott and Gregory M. Thorson. The Cray T3E Network: Adaptive Routing in a High Performance 3D Torus. In HOT Interconnects IV, Stanford University, August 1996.Google Scholar
- [TC94]Rajeev Thakur and Alok Choudary. All-to-All Communication on Meshes with Wormhole Routing. In Proceedings of the 8th International Parallel Processing Symposium, IPPS'94, pages 561–565, Cancun, Mexico, April 1994.Google Scholar