A distributed delay-constrained dynamic multicast routing algorithm
Many new distributed multimedia applications involve dynamic multiple participants, have stringent end-to-end delay requirement and consume large amount of network resources. In this paper, we propose a distributed delay-constrained dynamic multicast routing algorithm (DCDMR) to support these applications. DCDMR scales well because the source of the multicast tree needs only limited computation or may even not be involved in the route computation. When group membership changes, the existing multicast tree is perturbed as little as possible and the average resulting tree cost is very satisfactory.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Zhu, Q., et al, A Source-Based Algorithm for Near-Optimum Delay-Constrained Multicasting, IEEE INFOCOM'95, pp.377–385, 1995Google Scholar
- 3.Wi, S. and Choi, Y., A Delay Constrained Distributed Multicast Routing Algorithm, 12th International Conference on Computer Communication, ICCC'95, pp.833–838, 1995Google Scholar
- 4.Salama, H.F., et al, Evaluation of Multicast Routing Algorithms for Real-Time Communication on High-Speed Networks, in High Performance Networking VI, IFIP 6th International Conference on High Performance Networking, pp.27–42, 1995 (the multicast simulator MCRSIM can be downloaded from ftp://ftp.csc.ncsu.edu/pub/rtcomm/)Google Scholar
- 5.Sun, Q. and LangendŐrfer, H., A New Distributed Routing Algorithm for Supporting Delay-Sensitive Applications, Internal Report, Institute of Operating Systems and Computer Networks, TU Braunschweig, Germany, March 1997 (available from: http://www.cs.tu-bs.de/~sun/dunicast.ps)Google Scholar
- 7.Kadirire, J. and Knight G., Comparison of Dynamic Multicast Routing Algorithms for Wide-Area Packet Switched (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) Networks, IEEE INFOCOM'95, pp.212–219, 1995Google Scholar
- 8.Bauer F. and Varma, A., ARIES: A Rearrangeable Inexpensive Edge-based On-line Steiner Algorithm, in proceedings of GLOBECOM'95, 1995Google Scholar
- 9.Doar, M. and Leslie, I., How Bad is Naive Multicast Routing, IEEE INFOCOM'93, pp.82–89, 1993Google Scholar
- 10.Effelsberg, W. and Mueller-Menrad, E., Dynamic Join and Leave for Real-Time Multicast, Tenet Report TR-93-056, Computer Science Division, University of California at Berkeley, Oct. 1993Google Scholar
- 11.Biersack, E. and Nonnenmacher J., WAVE: A New Multicast Routing Algorithm for Static and Dynamic Multicast Groups, in proceedings of 5th Workshop on Network and Operating System Support for Digital Audio and Video, 1995Google Scholar
- 12.Hedrick, C, Routing Information Protocol, Internet RFC 1058, June 1988Google Scholar