Study on the Effect of Dielectric Structure to the Cylindrical Dielectric Resonator Antenna (DRA)
This paper presents the effect of variation of diameter and height of DR to the resonant frequency and radiation pattern of DRA. Analysis was carried out on the DR with diameter of 10.66 mm and height of 4.4 mm. The simulated and measured resonant frequencies were 3.67 and 3.77 GHz, respectively. The E-plane radiation pattern of CDRA was bi-directional pattern. The analysis was based on the CST simulation which varied the thickness and height of DR with the same increment and decrement of 1 mm. The resonant frequency of CDRA shifts significantly when the height of DR is varied, in contrast to the variation of DR’s diameter. The radiation pattern of antenna does not change when the dimension (height or diameter) of DR were altered.
KeywordsAntenna Dielectric material Dielectric resonator Dielectric resonator antenna
The works was supported by research university team grant (RUT) of 1001/PELECT/854004, postgraduate research grant scheme (PGRS) of 1001/PELECT/8044046 from Universiti Sains Malaysia and MyBrain scholarship from Malaysian ministry of higher education (Ref. No. KPT/B/831219045295).
- 1.Cuhaci M, Ittipoboon A, Petosa A, Roscoe D, Simons N (1996) Dielectric resonator antennas as an alternative technology for PCS applications. In: Canadian conference on electrical and computer engineering (CCECE’96). IEEE Press, Calgary, pp 867–870Google Scholar
- 2.Kishk AA (2003) Dielectric resonator antenna, a candidate for radar applications. In: IEEE radar conference. IEEE Press, Alabama, pp 258–264Google Scholar
- 3.Petosa A (2007) Dielectric resonator antenna handbook. Artech House, BoltonGoogle Scholar
- 4.Luk KM, Leung KW (2003) Dielectric resonator antenna. Research Studies Press Ltd, HertfordshireGoogle Scholar
- 5.Mridula S, Pau B, Menon SK, Aanandan CK, Vasudevan K, Mohanan P, Bijumon PV, Sebastian MT (2006) Wideband rectangular dielectric resonator antenna for W-LAN applications. In: IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, IEEE Press, California, pp 1363–1366Google Scholar
- 6.Pratsiuk B, Tkachov D, Prokopenko Yu, Poplavko Yu (2010) Tunable dielectric resonator: design and parameters. In: 20th International crimean conference microwave and telecommunication technology, IEEE, Ukraine, pp 655–656Google Scholar