An Enhanced ITU-R 837-6 Rain Rate Prediction Model for Tropical Region
This paper presents an enhanced rain rate model based on ITU-R 837-6 rain rate prediction. The improved model is derived from well behaved cumulative distribution function of over 100 rainfall rate samples from tropical region. The performance evaluation results show an improvement of −24.93 and 16.67 % in term of bias and root mean square of the relative estimation error respectively.
KeywordsRain rate ITU-R-837-6 TRMM Rainfall database
Authors would like to thank Universiti Sains Malaysia for the awarded RU-PRGS grant (1001/PELECT/8046022) to support this project.
- 1.Ippolito LJ (2008) Satellite communication systems engineering: atmospheric effects, satellite link design, and system performance. Wiley, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 2.Allnutt JE (1989) Satellite-to-ground radiowave propagation: theory, practice and system impact at frequencies above 1 GHz. Peter Perigrinus Ltd, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 6.Moupfouma F (1994) More about rainfall rate and their prediction for radio system engineering. IEE Proc 134-H(6):527–537Google Scholar
- 7.Semire FA, Mohd-Mokhtar R, Omotosho TV, Ismail W, Mohamad N, Mandeep JS (2012) Analysis of cumulative distribution function of 2-year rainfall measurements in Ogbomoso, Nigeria. Int J Appl Sci Eng 10(3):171–179Google Scholar
- 8.ITU-R 837-6 (2012) Characteristics of precipitation for propagation modelling. Telecommunication system, GenevaGoogle Scholar