Working Together: Interior Architecture Creating with the Community
Community engagement partnerships and projects have gained momentum in built environment and design fields, and the potential is great for interior architecture to engage with the community in the context of social sustainability. However, there is little knowledge in the field of how to go about it. Hence there is a need to explore suitable frameworks and methods. Using case studies and reflection on 30 years of practice, I argue that the interior architecture community, using core knowledge, can enrich and open up opportunities for other communities, and it is imperative to let communities, stakeholders, and other fields know what interior architecture can contribute to the public good. This chapter offers insights on how we may integrate community engagement into interior architecture education, internship and interior practice. And how we can take action to develop structures, methods and case studies, so that knowledge-action opportunities are built.
KeywordsInterior architecture Social sustainability Community engagement Participative design Design activism Co-design
- Bullock, A., & Trombley, S. (Eds.). (2000). The new Fontana dictionary of modern thought. London: Harper Collins.Google Scholar
- Badanes, S. (2008). Building consensus in design/build studios. In B. Bell & K. Wakeford (Eds.), Expanding architecture: Design as activism (pp. 248–255). New York: Metropolis Books.Google Scholar
- Bell, B. (2008). Expanding design towards greater relevance. In B. Bell & K. Wakeford (Eds.), Expanding architecture: Design as activism (pp. 15–16). New York: Metropolis Books.Google Scholar
- Curtin University. (n.d.). http://www.curtin.edu.au/course_overview/undergraduate/interiorarchitecture. Accessed 14 Feb 2014.
- Cohen, A.P. (1985). The symbolic construction of community. London: Tavistock.Google Scholar
- Community Renewal International. (n.d.). http://www.communityrenewal.us/.
- Design Corps. (2011). http://www.designcorps.org/about.
- Designing Futures. (n.d). http://www.form.net.au/industry-development/designing-futures.
- Feldman, R. (2008). Out of the box: Design innovations in manufactured housing. In B. Bell & K. Wakeford (Eds.), Expanding architecture: Design as activism (pp. 208–219). New York: Metropolis Books.Google Scholar
- Fisher, T. (2008). Public-interest Architecture: A needed and inevitable change. In B. Bell & K. Wakeford (Eds.), Expanding architecture: Design as activism (pp. 8–13). New York: Metropolis Books.Google Scholar
- Frank, F. & Smith, A. (2006) Community development and partnerships: A handbook for building community partnerships. Perth: Curtin University.Google Scholar
- Fry, T. (2009). Design futuring: Sustainability, ethics, and new practice. Sydney: University of New South Wales Press.Google Scholar
- Hendler-Ross, A. & Hendler-Ross, S. (2008). Designing with an asset based approach. In B. Bell & K. Wakeford (Eds.), Expanding architecture: Design as activism (pp. 123–131). New York: Metropolis Books.Google Scholar
- Hughes, P., Black, A., Kaldor, P., Bellamy, J., & Castle, K. (2007). Building stronger communities. New South Wales: UNSW Press.Google Scholar
- Imagining America. (n.d.). Artists and scholars in public life. http://imaginingamerica.org/about/. Accessed 2 Dec 2013.
- Indigenous Community Volunteers (ICV). (2011). http://www.icv.com.au/. Accessed 2 Dec 2013.
- Little, A. (2007). Community. In B. Galligan & W. Roberts. (Eds.). The Oxford companion to Australian politics (pp. 120–122). Oxford University Press, Melbourne.Google Scholar
- Lommerse, M. (2004). (Curator and Ed.). [Exhibition and catalouge]. designXchange. Perth: Craftwest [now FORM]Google Scholar
- Lommerse, M. (2009, July). Facilitating cultural transformation: Redefining indigenous identity through architecture. Cultural crossroads: Proceedings of the 26th International SAHANZ Conference (p. 1–22). https://www.academia.edu/198402/Facilitating_Cultural_Transformation_Redefining_Indigenous_Identity_through_Architecture. Accessed 2 Dec 2013.
- Lommerse, M., & Smith, D. (2010). (Curators and Eds.) [Exhibition and catalogue] Permeable boundaries: Interiors—a field of possibilities. Perth: John Curtin Gallery.Google Scholar
- Lommerse, M., Forlano, P., Eggleston, R., & Brankovic, K. (2006, April). (Curators). [Exhibition and Catalogue]. Riches of isolation: Unearthing Western Australia’s creative potential. Perth: FORM. https://www.academia.edu/636243/Riches_of_Isolation_unearthing_the_creative_potential_of_Western_Australia.
- Oldenburg, R. (1997). The great good place. Philadelphia: Da Carpo Press.Google Scholar
- Qureshi, S. (2008). Enhancing family and community through interdisciplinary design. In B. Bell & K. Wakeford (Eds.). Expanding architecture: Design as activism (pp. 263–273). New York: Metropolis Books.Google Scholar
- Scott, J., & Marshall, G. (Eds.). (2009). Community. In A dictionary of sociology. Oxford University Press. Oxford reference online. http://www.oxfordreference.com.dbgw.lis.curtin.edu.au/views/ENTRY.html?subview=Main&entry=t88.e337. Accessed 2 Dec 2013.
- Schachter, A. (2008). Teaching cooperation. In B. Bell & K. Wakeford (Eds.), Expanding architecture: Design as activism (pp. 255–263). New York: Metropolis Books.Google Scholar
- Social Economic Environmental Design (SEED). (n.d.). http://seednetwork.org/. Accessed 2 Dec 2013.
- Smith, C. E. (2007). (Curator). [Exhibition and catalogue]. Design for the other 90 %. New York. Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum, Smithsonian Institution.Google Scholar
- Smith, M.K. (2001). Community. The encyclopedia of informal education. http://www.infed.org/mobi/community.htm. Accessed 14 Feb 2014.
- The Department of Sustainability and Environment. (2005) Effective engagement: Building relationships with community and other stakeholders, Book 1: An introduction to engagement, Version 3. Melbourne: Victorian Government Department of Sustainability and Environment. http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/105823/Book_1_-_An_Introduction_to_Engagement.pdf. Accessed 2 Dec 2013.
- The Design Academy Eindhoven. (n.d.). http://www.designacademy.nl/MasterCourse.aspx.
- Tropman, J. E., John, E., Ehrlich, J. E., & Rothman, J. (2006). Tactics and techniques of community intervention. Belmont: Wadsworth Publishing.Google Scholar
- XSProject. (n.d.). http://www.xsprojectgroup.com/. Accessed 2 Dec 2013.
- 4-H. (n.d.). http://www.4-h.org/about/. Accessed 2 Dec 2013.