Two-Level QoS-Oriented Downlink Packet Schedulers in LTE Networks: A Review
The Long Term Evolution (LTE) as a mobile broadband technology supports a wide domain of communication services with different requirements. Therefore scheduling of all flows from various applications by the same strategy of resource allocation would not be efficient. Accordingly it is necessary to design new scheduling algorithms by considering the Quality of Service (QoS) requirements defined for each application. In this regard, this paper will provide a brief overview of previously reported schedulers for QoS support in LTE cellular networks by taking into account the various important QoS parameters such as delay, packet loss ratio and data rate. The resource distribution problem in LTE networks and solutions from the numerous numbers of previous resource allocation approaches are outlined and compared through a comparative table. The future direction for solving these problems will be stated. Overall this study summarises the current state of knowledge on the QoS-oriented scheduling algorithms for LTE networks.
KeywordsLong-term Evolution (LTE) Scheduling QoS GBR and non-GBR
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work has been supported by the Malaysian Ministry of High Education under the Fundamental Research Grant Scheme FRGS/1/11/SG/UPM/01/1.
- 1.Cisco. 2012. Cisco Visual Networking Index: Global Mobile Data Traf?cForecast Update, 2011–2016, http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns341/ns525/ns537/ns705/ns827/white-paper-c11-520862.pdf.
- 2.3GPP, Tech. Specif. Group Radio Access Network-Requirements for Evolved UTRA (E-UTRA) and Evolved UTRAN (E-UTRAN), 3GPP TS 25.913 V9.0, (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Gui X., Ng T. S.: Performance of Asynchronous Orthogonal Multicarrier CDMA System in a Frequency Selective Fading Channel, IEEE Transactions on Communications, 47(7), 1084–1091, (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Ekstrom, H.: QoS control in the 3GPP evolved packet system. IEEE Commun. 47, 76–83, (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Capozzi F., Piro G., Grieco L. A., Boggia G., Camarda P.: Downlink Packet Scheduling in LTE Cellular Networks: Key Design Issues and a Survey. IEEE Commun. Surveys and Tutorials. 15(2), 678–700, (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Elgazzar K., Salah M., Taha A. M., Hassanein H.: Comparing Uplink Schedulers for LTE. In: 6th International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference. pp. 189–193, ACM, (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Kwan, R., Leung, C.: A survey of scheduling and interference mitigation in LTE. J. Elect. Comput. Eng. 2010, 1–10, (2010).Google Scholar
- 8.3GPP. Tech. Specif. General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) enhancements for Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access Network (E-UTRAN) access, TS 23.401 v9.4.0, (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Ghosh A., Zhang J., Andrews J., Muhamed R.: Fundamentals of LTE. Prentice Hall, (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.3GPP, Tech. Specif. Group Services and System Aspects - Policy and charging control architecture (Release 9). 3GPP TS 23.203, V9.4.0, (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Monghal G., Pedersen K. I., Kovacs I. Z., Mogensen P. E.: QoS oriented time and frequency domain packet schedulers for the UTRAN long term evolution. In: Proc. of IEEE Veh. Tech. Conf., VTC-Spring, Marina Bay, Singapore, (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Xalali R., Padovani R., Pankaj R.: Data throughput of CDMA-HDR a high efficiency-high data rate personal communication wireless system. In: Vehicular Technology Conference Proceedings, (VTC Tokyo). Vol. 3, pp. 1854–1858, IEEE, (2000)Google Scholar
- 13.Nonchev S., Valkama M.: QoS-oriented packet scheduling for efficient video support in OFDMA-based packet radio systems. In: Multiple Access Communications. pp. 168–180. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Zaki Y.,Weerawardane T., Gorg C., Timm-Giel A.: Multi-qos-aware fair scheduling for lte. In: Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring). pp. 1–5. IEEE, (2011)Google Scholar
- 15.Brehm M., Prakash R.: Overload-state downlink resource allocation in LTE MAC layer. Wireless Networks Springer. 1–19, (2012)Google Scholar