The Business of International Education
International education does not have to be a business; for many schools, it still is not. Following the changes described in the previous chapters, a business of international education has developed. How does this business operate? How has corporatization changed international schools?
- Brighton College International Schools website. http://www.brightoncollegeinternational.com/About-BCIS-Our-Schools. Accessed August 10, 2018.
- British Council. (2015). New British Council school in Malaysia announced. https://www.britishcouncil.org/organisation/press/new-british-council-school-malaysia-announced. Accessed July 23, 2018.
- Busy Bees website. http://www.busybeesasia.com/. Accessed January 2018.
- Deveau, S. (2017. April 25). Canadian pension group to buy Nord Anglia at $4.3 billion value. Bloomberg. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-25/canadian-pension-board-group-to-buy-nord-anglia-for-4-3-billion. Accessed July 11, 2018.
- Eduarabia. (September 2010). Bloom properties to commence construction of Brighton College school in Abu Dhabi. https://www.edarabia.com/8616/bloom-properties-to-commence-construction-of-brighton-college-school-in-abu-dhabi/. Accessed August 10, 2018.
- EducationInvestor, April 9, 2009.Google Scholar
- EducationInvestor. (2010, October 21)Wellington’s conquest.Google Scholar
- EducationInvestor, November 3, 2015.Google Scholar
- EducationInvestor, June 29, 2016.Google Scholar
- EducationInvestor. (2017, February 27). Transnational education—A global race?.Google Scholar
- EducationInvestor. (September 2017). The Macron effect (pp. 34–35).Google Scholar
- Gardner-McTaggart, A. (2018). The Promise of Advantage: Englishness in IB International Schools. Perspectives: Policy and Practice in Higher Education, 22(4): 109–114.Google Scholar
- Ge, C. (2015, September 7). China’s booming international school business untouched by slowdown. South China Morning Post. https://www.scmp.com/business/china-business/article/1855932/chinas-booming-international-school-business-untouched. Accessed August 10, 2018.
- Harvey, D. (2005). A brief history of neoliberalism. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- IBO website. https://www.ibo.org/. Accessed February 2014.
- IFC. (2010). Education Investment Guide: A guide for investors in private education in emerging markets. International Finance Corporation World Bank Group.Google Scholar
- Ledger, S. (2017). The International Baccalaureate standards and practices as reflected in literature (2009–2016). The International Schools Journal, 37(1), 32–44.Google Scholar
- Ong, J. (2016, May 13). Behind Singapore’s Success in the IB: More tuition? Channel News Asia. https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/behind-singapore-s-success-in-the-ib-more-tuition-8000894. Accessed May 10, 2018.
- Rai, S. (2014, April 2). Billionaire education entrepreneur Varkey takes his Dubai school chain worldwide. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/saritharai/2014/04/02/chalk-a-block/#56fc3f7e4e75. Accessed July 24, 2018.
- Scott, D. (2017, April 25). Canadian pension group to buy Nord Anglia at $4.3 billion value. Bloomberg. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-25/canadian-pension-board-group-to-buy-nord-anglia-for-4-3-billion. Accessed July 22, 2018.
- SIIA website. (2016, April 19). Global webinar conference: Going global, international school markets—IB Edition. https://www.siia.net/Divisions/ETIN-Education-Technology-Industry-Network/Resources/Webinars/Going-Global-International-School-Markets-International-Baccalaureate-Edition. Accessed February 2018.
- Srivastava, P. (2016). Questioning the global scaling up of low-fee private schooling: The nexus between business, philanthropy, and PPPs. In A. Verger, C. Lubienski, & G. Steiner-Khamsi (Eds.), World yearbook of education 2016: The global education indistry (pp. 248–263). New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Tay, C., & Jaafar, S.S. (2017). Paramount Corp acquires 66% stake in REAL Education group for RM183 mil. The Edge Markets. http://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/paramount-corp-acquires-66-stake-real-education-group-rm183-mil. Accessed August 20, 2018.
- Wylie, I. (2012, December 13). Education goes global. Financial Times. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0e3cdd0e-428f-11e2-95fc-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3Os3nM6RT. Accessed February 1, 2015.
- Zhao, S., & Tam, J. (2014, June 3). Tax-free school rules attacked Tax-free status for schools attacked. South China Morning Post. https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1524102/tax-free-status-hong-kongs-international-schools-attacked. Accessed July 22, 2018.