Detecting IMSI-Catcher Using Soft Computing
Lately, from a secure system providing adequate user’s protection of confidentiality and privacy, the mobile communication has been degraded to be a less trustful one due to the revelation of IMSI catchers that enable mobile phone tapping. To fight against these illegal infringements there are a lot of activities aiming at detecting these IMSI catchers. However, so far the existing solutions are only device-based and intended for the users in their self-protection. This paper presents an innovative network-based IMSI catcher solution that makes use of machine learning techniques. After giving a brief description of the IMSI catcher the paper identifies the attributes of the IMSI catcher anomaly. The challenges that the proposed system has to surmount are also explained. Last but least, the overall architecture of the proposed Machine Learning based IMSI catcher Detection system is described thoroughly.
KeywordsIMSI catcher detection mobile phone tapping phone eavesdropping machine learning anomaly detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Foss, A.B., Johansen, P.A., Hager-Thoresen, F.: Secret surveillance of Norway’s leaders detected; Aftenposten (December 16, 2104). http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/iriks/Secret-surveillance-of-Norways-leaders-detected-7825278.html
- 2.GSMK CRYPTOPHONE: http://www.cryptophone.de/en/
- 3.Security Research Labs: https://opensource.srlabs.de/
- 4.The Osmocom (Open Source Mobile Communication) project: http://openbsc.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/OsmocomOverview
- 5.Android IMSI-Catcher Detector (#AIMSICD); https://secupwn.github.io/Android-IMSI-Catcher-Detector/
- 6.Dabrowski, A., Pianta, N., Klepp, T., Mulazzani, M., Weippl, E.R.: IMSI-Catch Me If You Can: IMSI-Catcher-Catchers. In: Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC). ACM (2014); 978-1-4503-3005-3/14/12Google Scholar
- 9.Strobel, D.: IMSI Catcher, Chair for Communication Security, Ruhr-Universität Bochum (July 13, 2007)Google Scholar
- 10.3GPP: Technical Specification TS 23.012 Location management procedures, V12.0.0 (September 2014) Google Scholar
- 11.3GPP: Technical Specification TS 23.060 GPRS Service Description describes, V13.2.0 (March 2015) Google Scholar
- 12.Chen, Y.-S.: Chapter 2 Mobility Management for GPRS and UMTS; Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering National Taipei UniversityGoogle Scholar
- 13.ElNashar, A., El-saidny, M., Sherif, M.: Design, Deployment and Performance of 4G-LTE Networks: A Practical Approach. John Wiley & Sons (2014); ISBN 1118703448, 9781118703441Google Scholar
- 16.Anomaly Detection algorithm from Twitter. https://github.com/twitter/AnomalyDetection