The ‘Next People’: And the Zombies Shall Inherit the Earth
On Halloween night 2014 I stood with thousands of others along the side of a large boulevard in Amsterdam. There was an excited buzz rippling through the crowd and young children zipped in and out, threading their way around their parents and friends, vying for the best viewing locations. Their cries and laughter filled the air alongside the adult conversation and the sound of phones ringing as people attempted to find each other in the crowd. We were all waiting with mounting excitement for the annual Halloween Parade. It was running late. Heads turned down the street, cameras and phones at the ready, watching for any sign that the parade was arriving. Expectation hung in the air. Finally … music. And then a truck disguised as a giant metal dragon belching smoke and music lurched into view, followed by a slow moving phalanx of participants, all in Halloween costumes. Some of the walkers were waving at the crowd, others were ignoring us, while still others lunged at unsuspecting individuals with threatening roars and grimaces. An armada of decorated vehicles, flanked by phalanxes of monsters and ghouls moved slowly along the street.
KeywordsVideo Game Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Comic Book Moral Panic
- Baker, D. (2012). Stoned with tiredness: Generation of children are becoming zombies because of late-night gaming sessions, claims charity. Mail Online, 30th January 2012. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2093413/Generation-children-zombies-late-night-gaming-sessions-claims-charity.html. Accessed 20 Sept 2014.
- BBC News Online. (2014). Pope Francis warns on ‘piecemeal World War III’. 13th September 2014. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29190890. Accessed 18 Sept 2014.
- Botting, F. (2011). Zombie death drive: Between gothic and science fiction. In S. Wasson & E. Alder (Eds.), Gothic science fiction: 1980–2010 (pp. 36–54). Liverpool: Liverpool University Press.Google Scholar
- Carey, M. R. (2014). The girl with all the gifts [Kindle DX Edition]. London: Orbit Books. Retrieved from http://www.Amazon.co.uk
- Colorscheme. (2014). Rich characterization and beautiful photography set this film apart. Review of Chrysalis (2014, Dir. Ben Kurstin). http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2836260/reviews?ref_=tt_urv Author: Colorscheme (firstname.lastname@example.org) from Toledo, OH, 19 May 2014.
- Corderoy, A. (2014, October 5). Both sides agree there are insufficient resources for affected children. Sydney Morning Herald. http://www.smh.com.au/data-point/zombie-kids-why-more-children-are-on-adhd-drugs-20131004-2uzmz.html. Accessed 21 Sept 2014.
- Derkson, D., & Hudson Hick, D. (2011). Your zombie and you: Identity, emotion, and the undead. In C. Mormon & C. Rushton (Eds.), Zombies are us: Essays on the humanity of the walking dead (pp. 11–23). Jefferson: McFarland & Company.Google Scholar
- Derkson, D. & Hudson Hick, D. (2011). Your zombie and you: Identity, emotion, and the Undead. Mormon, In C. & Rushton, C. (2011) Zombies are us: Essays on the Humanity of the Walking Dead, Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Companypp. 11- 23.Google Scholar
- Drezner, D. (2011). Theories of international politics and zombies. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Daddy, I’m a Zombie, Dir. Ricardo Ramon & Joan Espinach, Peach Arch Trinity, 2011. Animated Film.Google Scholar
- Giroux, H. (2010). Zombie politics and culture in the age of casino capitalism. New York: Peter Lang.Google Scholar
- I Walked with a Zombie. Dir. Jacques Tourneur. RKO, 1943. Film.Google Scholar
- LeJacq, Y. (2007). Stylus Magazine’s top 10 Zombie films of all time. http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articles/movie_review/stylus-magazines-top-10-zombie-films-of-all-time.htm. Accessed 23 Sept 2014.
- Metropolis. Dir. Fritz Lang. Parufamet, 1927. Film.Google Scholar
- Marion, I. (2011). Warm Bodies. New York: Simon & Schuster.Google Scholar
- Mormon, C., & Rushton, C. (2011). Zombies are us: Essays on the humanity of the walking dead. Jefferson: McFarland & Company.Google Scholar
- Mummy, I’m a Zombie, Dir. Ricardo Ramon & Joan Espinach, Peach Arch Trinity, 2014. Animated Film.Google Scholar
- Night of the Living Dead, Dir. George A. Romero. Image Ten, 1968. Film.Google Scholar
- Ogg, J. (2011). Zombies worth over $5 billion to economy: The walking deadreflect our anxieties over scary times. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45079546/ns/business-stocks_and_economy/t/zombies-worth-over-billion-economy/#.UP-qSqH3jgU
- PopCap Games. (2009). Plants v zombies. Google Chrome, Microsoft Windows video game, Designer George Fan.Google Scholar
- Quicksilva. (1984) Zombie Zombie (ZX Spectrum computer game). Designer Sandy White.Google Scholar
- Shaun of the Dead, Dir. Edgar Wright. Focus Features, 2004. Film.Google Scholar
- Stryker, S. (1980). Symbolic interactionism: A social structural version. Menlo Park: Benjamin Cummings.Google Scholar
- The New York Times [Online], Movie Review. White Zombie. Published July 29, 1932. http://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9D00E4D61531E633A2575AC2A9619C946394D6CF. Accessed 24 Sept 2014.
- The Star [Online]. Ritalin turned my son into a zombie. http://www.thestar.co.uk/what-s-on/out-about/healthy-living-ritalin-turned-my-son-into-a-zombie-1-4955587. Accessed 28 Sept 2014.
- Twohy, M. (2008). From Voodoo to Viruses: The evolution fo the zombie in Twentieth Century Popular Culture. Unpublished Master of Philosophy Thesis, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland.Google Scholar
- Vint, S. (2013). Abject posthumanism: Neoliberalism, biopolitics, and zombies, in M. Levina & Bui, D-M. (Eds.). Monster culture in the 21st century [Kindle DX Edition]. Retrieved from http://www.Amazon.co.uk
- White Zombie. Dir. Victor Halperin. United Artists, 1932. Film.Google Scholar
- Wood, R. (1986). Hollywood from Vietnam to Reagan. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- van Rijsselbere, J. (Animation). Zombie Hotel (2006–present) [Television series]. Paris: Alphanim.Google Scholar