An Overview of the Book Printing and Publishing Industry in Malaysia
- 1.3k Downloads
This paper focuses on the overview of the book printing and publishing industry in Malaysia. The book printing and publishing industry is facing challenges as the e-books are becoming increasingly significant to the young readers. Both e-books and digital printing have significant advantages in many aspects. The impacts of e-books and digital printing on the printing and publishing industry are also discussed. Issues which may encountered by book printers and publishers due to trend changes during the migration from print to electronic publishing are also addressed.
KeywordsBook printing Book publishing Book industry E-book Digital printing
The authors would like to acknowledge the Universiti Teknologi MARA, Malaysia (UiTM), for the financial support under the Dana Pembudayaan Penyelidikan (RAGS), Ministry of Education (MOE), and Faculty of Art and Design, UiTM.
- 1.International Paper Company. (2003). Pocket pal: A graphic arts production handbook. International paper (pp. 8).Google Scholar
- 2.Ishak, M. S. A. (1998). Penerbitan & percetakan buku Melayu, 1807–1960 (pp. 8–9). Kuala Lumpur: Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka. 31–33.Google Scholar
- 3.Chiang-Nan, C., Hegarty, N., & Stefanidis, A. (2012). Global impacts and challenges of paperless books: A preliminary study. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 3(11), 115.Google Scholar
- 4.Statistik Judul Buku-Buku yang Didaftarkan di bawah Akta Penyerahan Bahan Perpustakaan, 1986, 2010–2012. National Library of Malaysia.Google Scholar
- 5.Ling, T. C., Yaacob, M. H., & Phang, K. K. (1996). An overview of electronic publishing. Malaysian Journal of Library & Information Science, 1(2), 1–11.Google Scholar
- 7.Malaysia Investment Development Authority. (2012). Malaysia investment performance, Also Available online: http://www.mida.gov.my/env3/index.php?page=performance-report
- 8.Khong, L. C. (2013). 2013, turning point in Malaysian print industry. Professional Printer, 11(3), 6–7.Google Scholar
- 10.McAllister, D., McAllister, N., & Vivian, S. (2002). The impact of digital books upon print publishing. In International Symposium on Technology and Society, 2002 (ISTAS’02) (pp. 150–154). IEEE.Google Scholar
- 11.Tian, X., & Martin, B. (2009, November). Implications of digital technologies for book publishing. In Fourth International Conference on Cooperation and Promotion of Information Resources in Science and Technology, 2009. COINFO’09 (pp. 295–303). IEEE.Google Scholar