Noninvasive Carotid Artery Pulse Monitoring System
- 271 Downloads
The carotid arteries are the major arteries located in the neck region. The carotid artery is divided into two branches: the internal carotid and the external carotid. The internal carotid arteries supply blood to the brain, whereas external carotid arteries supply blood to the neck and the face. Blockage or diseases of these arteries can affect the heart and the brain. Studying these arteries is very important from a healthcare point of view. In this paper, a system is implemented where the pulse-related activity of the carotid artery can be studied. A pulse-sensing sensor has been used to measure these pulses. Integrating it with Bluetooth and viewing the application on Android makes it convenient for a doctor as well as patient to view the readings. Along with pulse monitoring, comparison of them with the pulse pressure waveform database makes the system very efficient and reliable for diagnosis as well.
KeywordsCarotid artery Pulse sensor Bluetooth Android application Pulse pressure waveform database Wireless communication
The authors would like to thank Dr. Riddhi Doshi and Ms. Akshita V. Nichani.
- 2.Carotid artery disease, an article published by Mayo ClinicGoogle Scholar
- 3.Ratchford EV, Evans NS (2014) Carotid artery disease. Sage J Part Vasc Dis Patient Inf PagesGoogle Scholar
- 4.Yue W, Wang A, Zhu R, Yan Z, Zheng S, Wang J, Huo J, Liu Y, Li X, Ji Y (2016) Association between Carotid artery stenosis and cognitive impairment in stroke patients: a cross-sectional study. Plos JGoogle Scholar
- 5.Winter WK, Zorach BB, Arpin PA, Nelson J, Mackey WC (2015) Progression of moderate-to-severe carotid disease. In: Presented at the forty-second annual meeting of the New England Society for vascular surgery. Newport, RI, 2–4 Oct 2015Google Scholar
- 6.Physical diagnosis a textbook of symptoms & physical signs by Vakil RJ, Golwalla AFGoogle Scholar
- 7.Nichani AV, Pistolwala ST, Deshmukh AA, Godse MJ (2018) Telemedicine: making health care accessible. In: Vasudevan H, Deshmukh A, Ray K (eds) Proceedings of international conference on wireless communication. Lecture Notes on data engineering and communications technologies, vol 19. Springer, SingaporeGoogle Scholar
- 10.Chigne J-P (2018) Techtimes article on a company is giving people chance to upload brain as backup, but first they have to dieGoogle Scholar