Brainstorm Optimization in Thinned Linear Antenna Array with Minimum Side Lobe Level
An antenna array (or array antenna) is composed of multiple individual antennas to produce a high directive gain or a specified pattern. Thinning involves reducing total number of active elements, but not to the detriment of system performance. In this paper, a variant of the Brainstorm Optimization (BSO) algorithm is proposed for thinning the linear arrays. The proposed thinning algorithm is employed to minimize the side lobe level and enhance the ratio directivity/side lobe level. The results show good agreement between the desired and calculated radiation patterns with reduction in resource usage in terms of power consumption.
KeywordsBrainstorm optimization Linear antenna array Thinned array Side lobe level
This work is supported by the National Key R&D Program of China (No. 2018YFC0407101), Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (No. 2019B22314), National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 61403121), Program for New Century Excellent Talents in Fujian Province University (No. GYZ18155), Program for Outstanding Young Scientific Researcher in Fujian Province University (No. GY-Z160149), and Scientific Research Foundation of Fujian University of Technology (No. GY-Z17162).
- 1.Bevelacqua, P.: Array Antennas. Antenna-theory.com. Accessed 23 Feb 2017
- 4.Miller, P.: The Smart Swarm: How Understanding Flocks, Schools, and Colonies Can Make Us Better at Communicating, Decision Making, and Getting Things Done. Avery Publishing Group, Inc. ISBN 978-1-58333-390-7 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Jain, R., Mani, G.S.: Solving antenna array thinning problem using genetic algorithm. Appl. Comput. Intell. Soft Comput. 24 (2012)Google Scholar
- 14.Mandal, D., Das, S., Bhattacharjee, S., Bhattacharjee, A., Ghoshal, S.: Linear antenna array synthesis using novel particle swarm optimization. In: 2010 IEEE Symposium on Industrial Electronics and Applications (ISIEA), pp. 311—316, Oct 2010Google Scholar
- 16.Ma, S., Li, H., Cao, A., Tan, J., Zhou, J.: Pattern synthesis of the distributed array based on the hybrid algorithm of particle swarm optimization and convex optimization. In: 2015 11th International Conference on Natural Computation (ICNC), pp. 1230–1234, Aug 2015Google Scholar
- 17.Shi, Y.: Brain storm optimization algorithm. In: International conference in swarm intelligence, pp. 303–309, June 2011. Springer, Berlin, HeidelbergGoogle Scholar