Spatial Distribution of Strength—Comparison Between Indian and Japanese Embankments
- 124 Downloads
The spatial distribution of N value inside the earth-fill dams and river dikes are identified by the sounding tests, and compared between in Japan and in India. In this research, the Swedish Weight Sounding (SWS) and the dynamic cone penetration (DCP) tests are employed as the test methods, and the spatial correlation structure of the ground can be identified with very short interval tests. Consequently, high resolution of the spatial distribution of N value could be visualized based on the survey results. Simultaneously, the difference between Japanese and Indian embankments of the river dikes and earth-fill dams has been clarified.
KeywordsN value Swedish weight sounding Dynamic cone penetration Spatial correlation
This work was totally supported by JSPS Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Grant Number 16H02763). The authors thank to Professor Subashisa Dutta, Prof. Arup K Sarma, and Professor Arindam Dey, IIT Guwahati for their kind cooperation in site investigations.
- 3.Deutsch, C.V., Journel, A.G.: Geostatistical Software Library and User’s Guide. Oxford University Press (1992)Google Scholar
- 6.Inada,M.: Usage of Swedish weight sounding results. Geotech. Eng. Mag. 8(1), 13–18 (1960) (In Japanese)Google Scholar
- 7.Japanese Geotechnical Society: Japanese Geotechnical Society Standards for geotechnical and geoenvironmental investigation methods. Maruzen (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Nishimura, S., Murakami, A., Matsuura, K.: Reliability-based design of earth-fill dams based on the spatial distribution of strength parameters. Georisk 4(3), 140–147 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Nishimura, S., Shibata, T., Shuku, T.: Diagnosis of earth-fill dams by synthesized approach of sounding and surface wave method. Georisk 10(4), 312–319 (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.Nishimura, S., Suzuki, M.: Spatial distributions of strength of a river dike based on synthesis of sounding tests and surface wave method. In: Proceedings of the 14th Asian Regional Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, DVD (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Tang, W.H.: Probabilistic evaluation penetration resistances. J. Geotech. Eng., ASCE 105(GT10), 1173–1191 (1979)Google Scholar