This chapter establishes the importance of attracting and retaining quality teachers to the profession. The chapter outlines emerging international concerns about changes in the teacher labour market and the importance of promoting early career teacher retention as demand for teachers intensifies. The chapter outlines the structure of the book and briefly describes each chapter and the contributions they make to the overall aims of the book.
This chapter is an outcome of the Retaining Quality Teachers Study funded by the Australian Research Council (LP130100830). The Principals Australia Institute contributed funds and in-kind support to this project. Note: the views expressed in this publication do not necessarily reflect Principals Australia Institute’s policies.
- ABC News. (2015, November 13). Teachers mental health under the microscope. ABC News. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-13/teachers-mental-health-under-the-microscope/6937506
- Bahr, N., & Ferreira, J.-A. (2018, April 16). Seven reasons people no longer want to be teachers. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/seven-reasons-people-no-longer-want-to-be-teachers-94580
- Day, C., & Sachs, J. (2004). Professionalism, performativity and empowerment: Discourses in the politics, policies and purposes of continuing professional development. In C. Day & J. Sachs (Eds.), International handbook on the continuing professional development of teachers (pp. 3–32). Maidenhead: Open University Press.Google Scholar
- Foster, D. (2018). Teacher recruitment and retention in England. House of Commons Library Briefing paper number 7222. London: UK Parliament. http://dera.ioe.ac.uk/31729/1/CBP-7222.pdf
- Graham, J. (2013). Educational reform and its antidotes. Global Education Reform Movement, 9(3), 5–10.Google Scholar
- Isenson, N. (2018, August 27). Germany is desperate for teachers. DW. https://www.dw.com/en/germany-is-desperate-for-teachers/a-45246978
- Johnson, B., Down, B., Le Cornu, R., Peters, J., Sullivan, A., Pearce, J., & Hunter, J. (2016). Promoting early career teacher resilience: A socio-cultural and critical guide to action. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Lingard, B. (2014, November 1–5). Constituting a ‘systemless system’ of schooling: The responsibilization of schools, principals and teachers. Paper presented at the Annual Conference of Australian Association for Research in Education, Brisbane.Google Scholar
- Local. (2017, December 19). Swedish schools under pressure to recruit 77,000 teachers. The Local. https://www.thelocal.se/20171219/swedish-schools-under-pressure-to-recruit-77000-teachers
- New Zealand Post Primary Teachers’ Association. (2018). Secondary School Staffing Survey report 2018. Wellington: New Zealand Post Primary Teachers’ Association. https://www.ppta.org.nz/assets/Uploads/2018-Secondary-Staffing-Survey-report.pdf
- Newshub Staff. (2018, July 31). New Zealand’s teacher shortage expected to reach crisis point by 2030. Newshub. https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2018/07/new-zealand-s-teacher-shortage-expected-to-reach-crisis-point-by-2030.html
- Picchi, A. (2018, August 23). School’s back in session, but many teachers aren’t returning. Moneywatch. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/americas-new-education-crisis-a-teacher-shortage/
- Smith, A. (2018, June 18). 900 extra teachers to help meet shortages in maths and science. The Sydney Morning Herald. https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/900-extra-teachers-to-help-meet-shortages-in-maths-and-science-20180617-p4zm0k.html
- Sullivan, A. M., & Johnson, B. (2012). Questionable practices? Relying on individual teacher resilience in remote schools. Australian and International Journal of Rural Education, 22(3), 101–116.Google Scholar
- Sullivan, A. M., Johnson, B., Conway, R. N. F., Owens, L. D., & Taddeo, C. (2013). Punish them or engage them? Teachers’ views on student behaviours in the classroom. Behaviour at School Study: Technical Report 1. Adelaide: University of South Australia.Google Scholar
- Sutcher, L., Darling-Hammond, L., & Carver-Thomas, D. (2016). A coming crisis in teaching? Teacher supply, demand, and shortages in the U.S. Palo Alto: Learning Policy Institute. https://learningpolicyinstitute.org/sites/default/files/product-files/A_Coming_Crisis_in_Teaching_REPORT.pdf
- Syal, R. (2018, January 31). Teacher shortage leaves English schools in crisis, watchdog says. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/jan/31/teacher-shortage-leaves-english-schools-in-crisis-watchdog-says
- UNESCO Institute for Statistics. (2016). The world needs almost 69 million new teachers to reach the 2030 Education goals. Paris: UNESCO. http://uis.unesco.org/en/files/fs39-world-needs-almost-69-million-new-teachers-reach-2030-education-goals-2016-en-pdf
- Weldon, P. (2015). The teacher workforce in Australia: Supply, demand and data issues. Policy insights no 2. Camberwell: ACER. https://research.acer.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1001&context=policyinsights
- Weldon, P. (2016). Out-of-field teaching in Australian secondary schools. Policy insights no. 6. Camberwell: ACER. https://research.acer.edu.au/policyinsights/6/.