Challenging the Far-Right in Australia
Articulating the need for powerful, evidence-based and practical interventions and solutions, this chapter discusses the work of the civil society organisation All Together Now regarding far-right extremism. All Together Now’s innovative Community Action for Preventing Extremism (CAPE) project, formerly known as Exit White Power, was established in 2012 to plant a seed of doubt in the minds of young people who are attracted to far-right extremism and White supremacy. Since then it has gone from strength to strength and remains the only project of its kind by a civil society organisation in Australia.
- ABC News. (2015, June 12). Islamic State: Tony Abbott’s ‘Death Cult’ Tag Feeds Terror Group’s Propaganda Machine, Expert Warns. Retrieved December 19, 2018, from http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-11/terrorism-expert-says-death-cult-is-a-misnomer/6539862.
- All Together Now. (2013). Tackling White Supremacy, Australian Style. Journal EXIT-Deutschland, 2, 45–53.Google Scholar
- All Together Now. (2014). Evaluation of the Exit II Project (unpublished paper).Google Scholar
- All Together Now. (2017). Who Watches the Media? Retrieved December 19, 2018, from https://alltogethernow.org.au/media-monitoring.
- Aly, A., & Lucas, K. (2015). Countering Online Violent Extremism in Australia: Research and Preliminary Findings. In S. Zeiger & A. Aly (Eds.), Countering Violent Extremism: Developing an Evidence-Base for Policy and Practice (pp. 81–89). Perth, WA: Hedayah and Curtin University.Google Scholar
- Anti-Defamation League. (2018). When Women are the Enemy: The Intersection of Misogyny and White Supremacy. Retrieved December 19, 2018, from https://www.adl.org/resources/reports/when-women-are-the-enemy-the-intersection-of-misogyny-and-white-supremacy.
- Berger, P., & Sterman, D. (2017, June 15). Bergen: Domestic Abuse can Portend Terror Violence. Retrieved December 19, 2018, from http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/15/opinions/alexandria-domestic-violence-shooting-bergen-sterman/index.html.
- Blair, K., Dunn, K. M., Kamp, A., & Alam, O. (2017). Challenging Racism Project 2015–16 National Survey Report. Penrith, NSW: Western Sydney University.Google Scholar
- Chan, G. (2014, August 20). Countering Violent Extremism Program Funding Not Renewed in Budget. The Guardian. Retrieved December 19, 2018, from https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/20/countering-violent-extremism-program-funding-not-renewed-in-budget.
- European Commission. (2012, December). Proposed Policy Recommendations for the High Level Conference, Radicalisation Awareness Network. Retrieved December 19, 2018, from https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/sites/homeaffairs/files/what-we-do/networks/radicalisation_awareness_network/ran-high-level-conference/docs/proposed_policy_recommendation_ran_p_and_p_en.pdf.
- Institute for Strategic Dialogue (ISD). (2011). Radicalisation: The Role of the Internet. A Working Paper of the PPN. London: Institute for Strategic Dialogue.Google Scholar
- Lopez, H. (2016). Race and Economic Jeopardy for All: A Framing Paper for Defeating Dog Whistle Politics. Washington: AFL-CIO. Retrieved December 19, 2018, from http://haasinstitute.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/15234_racepoliticspaper_bug.pdf.
- Multicultural NSW. (n.d.). COMPACT Program. Retrieved December 19, 2018, from http://multicultural.nsw.gov.au/communities/compact_program.
- Paradies, Y., Chandrakumar, L., Klocker, N., Frere, M., Webster, K., Burrell, M., & McLean, P. (2009). Building on Our Strengths: A Framework to Reduce Race-Based Discrimination and Support Diversity in Victoria. Full Report. Melbourne: Victorian Health Promotion Foundation.Google Scholar
- Snair, J., Nicholson, A., & Giammaria, C. (2017). Countering Violent Extremism Through Public Health Practice. In Proceedings of a Workshop at the Forum on Medical and Public Health Preparedness for Disasters and Emergencies. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. Retrieved December 19, 2018, from https://www.nap.edu/catalog/24638/countering-violent-extremism-through-public-health-practice-proceedings-of-a.
- Southern Poverty Law Center. (2012, March 1). The ‘Patriot’ Movement Explodes. Retrieved December 19, 2018, from https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2012/patriot-movement-explodes.
- Walker, P., & Taylor, M. (2011, November 7). Far Right on Rise in Europe, Says Report. The Guardian. Retrieved December 19, 2018, from https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/nov/06/far-right-rise-europe-report.
- Zammit, A. (2012, October 11). The Potential for Far-Right Terrorism in Australia. The Conversation. Retrieved December 19, 2018, from https://theconversation.com/the-potential-for-far-right-terrorism-in-australia-10036.
- Zimmerman, S., Ryan, L, & Duriesmith, D. (2018, September). Recognizing the Violent Extremist Ideology of ‘Incels’. Women in International Security, Policy Brief. Retrieved December 19, 2018, from https://www.wiisglobal.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Policybrief-Violent-Extremists-Incels.pdf.