This chapter traces the history of ASEAN from its inception to the present day. It elaborates the challenges faced by member states throughout the first fifty years of its regional integration, and the achievements they have recorded together, while charting the course of the future. Concepts such as the ASEAN Way and ASEAN centrality are discussed, and the three pillars of the ASEAN Community, namely economy, politics and security, and socio-culture, are introduced. Of particular importance is the subject of ASEAN’s evolving relationships with key dialogue partners, particularly the United States, China and the European Union. The chapter also introduces the content of subsequent chapters in the book, as well as their implications for post-50 ASEAN.
- Acharya, Amitav. 2017. “The Myth of ASEAN Centrality?” Contemporary Southeast Asia: A Journal of International and Strategic Affairs 39 (2): 273–279.Google Scholar
- ASEAN Secretariat. 2017a. Celebrating ASEAN: 50 Years of Evolution and Progress. Jakarta: ASEAN.Google Scholar
- ASEAN Secretariat. 2017b. ASEAN Community Progress Monitoring System. Jakarta: ASEAN.Google Scholar
- ASEAN Secretariat. 2017c. ASEAN Economic Integration Brief. Jakarta: ASEAN.Google Scholar
- Hoang, Thi Ha, Moe Thuzar, Sanchita Basu Das, and Termsak Chalermpalanupap. 2016. “Diverging Regionalisms: ASEAN and the EU.” ASEANFocus. Special Issue, August, 4–13. https://www.iseas.edu.sg/images/pdf/ASEANFocus%20Issue%206%202016%20August%202016.pdf.
- IRIN News. 2013. How to Reverse Buddhism’s Radical Turn in Southeast Asia? Accessed January 3, 2019. http://www.irinnews.org/analysis/2013/07/16/how-reverse-buddhism%E2%80%99s-radical-turn-southeast-asia#.UqYO6PRDvTo.
- ISEAS. 2017. “Trump in Southeast Asia.” ASEANFocus 7: 4–7.Google Scholar
- Moeller, Joergen Oerstroem. 2018. “US-China Trade War: Opportunities & Risks for Southeast Asia.” ISEAS Perspective 64: 1–7.Google Scholar
- Pardo, F. F. 2016. “Why ASEAN Matters to the EU.” ASEANFocus. Special Issue, August, 17. https://www.iseas.edu.sg/images/pdf/ASEANFocus%20Issue%206%202016%20August%202016.pdf.
- Pereira, Derwin. 2018. “How the US-China Trade War Will Make or Break ASEAN.” South China Morning Post. Accessed January 3, 2019. https://www.scmp.com/comment/insight-opinion/asia/article/2173343/how-us-china-trade-war-will-make-or-break-asean.
- The White House. 2017. National Security Strategy of the United States of America, Washington, DC: The White House.Google Scholar
- United Nations Development Programme. 2018. Human Development Indices and Indicators Statistical Update. Accessed January 2, 2019. http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/files/2018_summary_human_development_statistical_update_en.pdf.
- Ware, Anthony. 2015. “Secessionist Aspects to the Buddhist-Muslim Conflict in Rakhine State, Myanmar.” In Territorial Separatism and Global Politics (War and Intrastate Conflict Series), edited by Damien Kingsbury and Costas Laoutides. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Yeo, Lay Hwee. 2016. “Why the EU Matters to ASEAN.” ASEANFocus. Special Issue, August, 16. https://www.iseas.edu.sg/images/pdf/ASEANFocus%20Issue%206%202016%20August%202016.pdf. Google Scholar