The Henan Art Center: From Dilemma to Ambition
- 169 Downloads
In China, the Yellow River is called the “mother river.” It flows through the central part of China and has been a center of agriculture for thousands of years, with the Central Plain Civilization spreading out from its fertile edge. Cities extend across the river plains, forming Henan Province, which has a large population that still mainly depends on agriculture. Zhengzhou, the capital city, has historically been strategically and culturally important.
This chapter is part of a study supported by the Research Grant Council, Hong Kong government, project No. CityU 11658816. I am grateful to Dr. Charlie Q. L. Xue who gave me valuable advice and supported my writing in all stages of this chapter’s development. I would like to thank Manager Chen Zeli, Yuan Dian, Li Ya, Ding Zhimin and Wang Suli for generously offering great help and valuable one-hand materials to me. Special thanks to Sun Cong and Xiao Yingbo for the discussions and suggestions on the improvement during the writing.
I grew up in Zhengzhou. I grow up with the city. When I was a child, my family lived in the southeast region of the old town, not far from where the Zhengdong New District is now. At that time, the area was all farmland. My father took me there by bicycle on weekends to experience nature and teach me some knowledge of crops. I have precious memories of this area.
As I grew up and began to read and write more, my father started taking me to the cinema with him. Sometimes we watched films in the auditorium of his university, sometimes in the Henan People’s Hall; there was no single place for cinema. I consider Henan People’s Hall one of the best high-class places I have ever been. Every time I went there, I was excited, and I could see joy and delight on the faces of others as well.
About 10 years ago, my cousin’s family moved to a new home in the eastern part of the old town, close to the Zhengdong New District. When we go to visit them, we usually have a big dinner in the shopping centre along the CBD area. After the meal, we walk along Ruyi Lake, just as many residents do. Almost every time we pass the Henan Art Centre and the landmark Greenland Plaza, we hear comments from others about the shape and meaning of the theatre and about its performances and exhibitions. Unlike the public media’s reports and judgements, most of what can be heard is praise rather than criticism . Some of my other relatives who live not far from the CBD say that they enjoy the lake and the squares of these public buildings provide. Many of my friends are registered members of Henan Art Centre and go to the theatre more than once a month. To some extent, they represent the voice of the new generation. They can buy tickets to high-level performances, and they benefit from them a lot, whether in daily life or in their careers. The new generation may be critical about the shape and style of the building, but they cannot deny the effects that it has on them and the living environment.
Last year, my best friend held his wedding ceremony on the lake platform of the Green Plaza, with the landmark and the Henan Art Centre as the background. Their ceremony was not a traditional one as most new couple would choose; they had a buffet and their favourite German beers. They said that the place and the background environment meant a kind of new city life and a different future. This is also what I hope that the new district and buildings can bring to this conservative inland city.
- Andreu, P. (2009). National center for the performing arts. Beijing: China Architecture and Building Press.Google Scholar
- Henan Poly Art Center. (2018). Henan Poly Art Center 10th Anniversary Video. Retrieved from https://v.qq.com/x/page/e05432lwklu.html. Accessed January 12, 2019. 河南艺术中心 (2018). 河南之约——河南艺术中心十周年发布会视频.
- Hu, L. D. (2018). To meet Henan at this 10th anniversary. Henan Art Center will launch a series of grand performances this year. gov.hawh.cn. Retrieved from http://gov.hawh.cn/content/201802/02/content_411335.html. Accessed January 12, 2019. 胡玲娣.“河南之约·相聚此10”河南艺术中心今年将推系列盛大演出. 河南文化和旅游厅.
- Lu, X. D. (2009). On the evolution of modern theaters in China—A history from grand stage to grand theater. Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press. 卢向东. (2009).中国现代剧场的演进–从大舞台到大剧院. 北京:中国建筑工业出版社.Google Scholar
- Qiao, W. H. (2015, September 26). Prime Minister Li Keqiang got on the 58th floor of the “Big Corn” (the Greenland Plaza) for overlooking Zhengzhou, A04. Dahe Daily. http://newpaper.dahe.cn/dhb/html/2015-09/26/node_70.htm. Accessed January 12, 2019. 乔伟辉 (2015年9月26日). 总理登“大玉米”58层俯瞰郑州. 郑州:大河报. A04.
- Sudjic, D. (2006). The edifice complex: How the rich and powerful—And their architects—Shape the world. London: Penguin.Google Scholar
- The People’s Government of Henan Province. (2001a). The 10th five-year plan of Henan Province. gov.hawh.cn. Accessed 21 December 2006, from https://doc.docsou.com/bdea68f7299454b82ffeec30c-4.html. 河南省政府办公厅. (2001). 河南省“十五”规划. 郑州:河南省人民政府.
- The People’s Government of Henan Province. (2001b). Henan Provincial Government Work Report of 2001—The Fourth Session of the Ninth People’s Congress of Henan Province. henan.gov.cn. https://www.henan.gov.cn/2006/08-11/226996.htm. Accessed 11 August 2006. 李克强. 2001年河南省政府工作报告——河南省第九届人民代表大会第四次会议. 郑州:河南省人民政府.
- The People’s Government of Henan Province. (2006). The 11th five-year plan for urbanization in Henan Province. Accessed 21 December 2006, from http://www.henan.gov.cn/ztzl/system/2006/10/27/010011294.shtml. 河南省政府办公厅. (2006). 河南省城镇化“十一五”规划. 郑州:河南省人民政府.
- Wang, S., & Lv X. (2012a). Mei De Lichen—Henansheng Yishu Zhongxin Jianshe Huimou. (The Process of Beauty—Reviewing Henan Art Center Construction Process). Beijing: Guang Ming Daily Press. 王仕俊,吕寻珠(2012). 美的历程——河南省艺术中心建设回眸. 北京:光明日报出版社.Google Scholar
- Wang, S., & Lv, X. (2012b). Yishu De Xinjing (Artistic Mood). Beijing: Guang Ming Daily Press. 王仕俊,吕寻珠(2012). 艺术的心境. 北京:光明日报出版社.Google Scholar
- Wen, X. J. (2018, January 3). A new chapter to continue the glory on the reform and innovation policy—Interview with Guo Wenpeng, Deputy General Manager of Poly Culture Group Co., Ltd. and general manager of Beijing Poly Theatre Management Co., Ltd. (p. 06). Henan Daily. http://newpaper.dahe.cn/hnrb/html/2018-01/03/node_6.htm. Accessed January 12, 2019. 温小娟(2018年1月3日). 改革创新谱新篇,乘风破浪续辉煌—访保利文化集团股份有限公司副总经理、北京保利剧院管理有限公司总经理郭文鹏. 郑州:河南日报. p. 06.
- Xia, J., & Yin, S. (2006). Juzhu Gaibian Zhongguo (Living changes China). Beijing: Tsinghua University Press. 夏骏.阴山(2006). 居住改变中国. 北京:清华大学出版社.Google Scholar
- Xue, C. Q. L. (2006). Building a revolution: Chinese architecture since 1980. Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press.Google Scholar
- Xue, C. Q. L. (2010). World Architecture in China. Hong Kong: Joint Publishing Ltd.Google Scholar
- Yu, X. A., Wang, J. G., & Wan, S. W. (2010). Zhongguo xinchengshi jianshe yanjiu—Zhengzhou xinqu jianshe de shijian yu tansuo (Research on the construction of the new urban area in China—On practice and exploration of Zhengzhou New District). Beijing: Social Sciences Academic Press (China). 喻新安,王建国,完世伟等(2010). 中国新城区建设研究——郑州新区建设的实践与探索. 北京:社会科学文献出版.Google Scholar
- Zhengzhou Zhengdong New District Administration Committee, & Zhengzhou Urban Planning Bureau. (2010a). Zhengzhoushi Zhengdong Xinqu Chengshi Guihua yu Jianzhu Sheji (2001–2009) Zhengdong Xinqu Zongti Guihuapian (Urban planning and architectural design for Zhengdong New District of Zhengzhou (2001–2009). The master plan for Zhengdong New District). Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press. 郑州市郑东新区管理委员会,郑州市城市规划局 (2010). 郑州市郑东新区城市规划与建筑设计(2001-2009)郑东新区总体规划篇. 北京:中国建筑工业出版社.Google Scholar
- Zhengzhou Zhengdong New District Administration Committee, & Zhengzhou Urban Palning Bureau. (2010b). Zhengzhoushi Zhengdong Xinqu Chengshi Guihua yu Jianzhu Sheji (2001–2009) Zhengdong Xinqu Shangwu Zhongxinqu Chenshi Guihua yu Jianzhu Shejipian (Urban planning and architectural design for Zhengdong New District of Zhengzhou (2001–2009). Urban planning and architectural designs for CBD of Zhengdong New District). Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press. 郑州市郑东新区管理委员会, 郑州市城市规划局 (2010). 郑州市郑东新区城市规划与建筑设计(2001–2009)郑东新区商务中心区城市规划与建筑设计篇. 北京:中国建筑工业出版社.Google Scholar