The general conclusion found by audits of consumer acceptance of North American beef is that the USDA Beef Quality Grading System and the Canadian Beef Quality System, although perhaps the best in the world, allow too much variation in eating quality. Because grading systems are, at best, indirect methods for assessing eating quality and because many of the traits associated with eating quality are highly heritable and also influenced by known elements of the production system (both pre- and post-harvest), it appears that the only realistic method to guarantee consistent, quality beef eating experiences involves identification of system elements impacting the eating quality of the final product and orchestration of these elements into coherent systems designed to produce these products consistently.
- Bloomberg. 2014. Industry leaderboard. Accessed 22 Mar 2014 at: http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data/industries/detail/restaurants.
- Clyma, K. 2014. Successful sales: Ranking the industry’s top processors, 16–24. Meat & Poultry Magazine.Google Scholar
- Degen, R. J., and K.M. Wong. 2012. An examination of the resource-based horizontal acquisition strategy of JBS — The biggest meat packer in the world, ed. R. Vogel. Proceedings New York State Economics Association 65th Annual Meeting, Vol. 5, 37–46).Google Scholar
- Dikeman, M.E. 1987. Fat reduction in animals and the effects on palatability and consumer acceptance of meat products. In Proceedings American meat science association, national livestock and meat board, 93–103.Google Scholar
- Igo, J.L., D.L. Van Overbeke, D.R. Woerner, J.D. Tatum, D.L. Pendell, L.L. Vedral, G.G. Mafi, M.C. Moore, R.O. McKeith, G.D. Gray, D.B. Griffin, D.S. Hale, J.W. Savell, and K.E. Belk. 2013. Phase I of The National Beef Quality Audit-2011: Quantifying willingness-to-pay, best-worst scaling, and current status of quality characteristics in different beef industry marketing sectors. Journal of Animal Science 91: 1907–1919.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- JBS. 2014. Investor relations. Accessed 22 Mar 2014 at: http://jbss.infoinvest.com.br/.
- McDonald’s. 2012. McDonald’s 2012 Annual Report. Available at: http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com/content/dam/AboutMcDonalds/Investors/. Accessed 22 Mar 2014.
- Salvage, B. 2013. Mega acquisitions keep stunning the industry: Acquisitions have transformed the US meat and poultry industry in just a little over a decade. Meat Poultry.Com. Available at: http://www.meatpoultry.com/Writers/Bryan%20Salvage.aspx?page=2. Accessed 18 Mar 2014.
- Walmart. 2014. Walmart facts. Available at: http://news.walmart.com/walmart-facts/. Accessed 17 Mar 2014.