Simulation Model and Scenario to Increase Corn Farmers’ Profitability
Corn demand in Indonesia is quite high; this commodity is useful as food, as animal feed ingredients, and as industrial raw materials. The main problem in corn farming is not enough production to meet the demand as staple foods and industry. Therefore, it is necessary to increase the amount of corn production to meet demand as well as to increase farmers’ income and profits. Based on this condition, in this research we propose to develop a simulation model and scenario to increase farmers’ income through land productivity improvement. As a method use for model development, we utilize system dynamics framework based on consideration that system dynamics is a scientific framework for addressing complex and nonlinear feedback systems. System dynamics can use both qualitative and quantitative techniques such as computer simulations. It also facilitates the adoption of nonlinear mental models so that they can search and describe the feedback process of problem dynamics. In particular, system dynamics has proven useful in overcoming agricultural problems. Simulation results show that increasing farmers’ income can be done through increasing land productivity. With the increase in land productivity, corn production will increase, hence the income of corn farmers will also increase. Increased productivity can be done by carrying out structural and non-structural approaches. Structural approach can be carried out through rehabilitation of watersheds and irrigation networks. Meanwhile, non-structural approach can be carried out through the application of new technologies, strict land conversion rules, dynamic planting calendars, dissemination of climate information, and the development of climate field schools.
KeywordsSimulation Model System dynamics Corn Farmers’ profitability
This research is supported by Directorate of Research and Community Service—Ristekdikti, ITS (Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember) Research Center, Enterprise Systems Laboratory in Information Systems Department, Department of Agriculture in East Java, as well as Faculty of Information and Communication Technology of ITS.
- 1.Asrofi: Corn Seeds Demand Per Ha (Kebutuhan Benih Jagung Per Hektar): Retrieved from KampusTani.Com: https://www.kampustani.com/kebutuhan-benih-jagung-per-hektar/ (2018)
- 4.Bijibersemi: Abundant corn harvest, this is what farmers must do (Panen Jagung Melimpah, Ini Yang Harus Dilakukan Petani): Retrieved from Pioneer: https://www.pioneer.com/web/site/indonesia/Panen-Jagung-Melimpah-Ini-Yang-Harus-Dilakukan-Petani (2018)
- 5.Ihsan: Corn pests and plant diseases and their control (Hama dan Penyakit Tanaman Jagung dan Pengendaliannya): Retrieved from Petani Hebat: https://www.petanihebat.com/hama-dan-penyakit-tanaman-jagung-dan-pengendaliannya/ (2018)
- 6.Khalik, R.S.: Diversification of Food Consumption in Indonesia: Between Hope and Reality (Diversifikasi Konsumsi Pangan di Indonesia: Antara Harapan dan Kenyataan). Pusat Analisis Sosial Ekonomi dan Kebijakan Pertanian, Bogor (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Nizar, R., Siswati, L., Putri, A.: Analysis of the function of cubic total costs in corn farming in Rumbai Subdistrict, Pekanbaru City (Analisis Fungsi Biaya Total Kubik pada Usahatani Jagung di Kecamatan Rumbai Kota Pekanbaru). Jurnal Agribisnis 18(1) (2016)Google Scholar
- 8.Purwono, Hartono, R.: Grow Corn Superior (Bertanam Jagung Unggul). Penebar Swadaya, Jakarta (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Rahmi, C., Sebayang, T., Iskandarini: Analysis of corn farming and marketing (Case study: Pamah Village, Tanah Pinem District, Dairi Regency) (Analisis Usahatani Dan Pemasaran Jagung (Studi Kasus: Desa Pamah, Kecamatan Tanah Pinem, Kabupaten Dairi)), pp. 1–35 (2012). Retrieved from https://media.neliti.com/media/publications/15050-ID-analisis-usahatani-dan-pemasaran-jagung-studi-kasus-desa-pamah-kecamatan-tanah-p.pdf
- 10.Sidabutar, P., Yusmini, Y., Yusri, J.: Analysis of corn farming (zea mays) in the village of Dosroha, Simanindo sub-district, Samosir district, North Sumatra province (Analisis Usahatani Jagung (zea mays) di Desa Dosroha Kecamatan Simanindo Kabupaten Samosir provinsi Sumatera Utara). Jurnal Online Mahasiswa Fakultas Pertanian Universitas Riau 1(1) (2014)Google Scholar
- 11.Statistics Indonesia: Production value and production costs per planting season per hectare cultivation of paddy rice fields, field rice, corn, and soybeans (Nilai Produksi dan Biaya Produksi per Musim Tanam per Hektar Budidaya Tanaman Padi Sawah, Padi Ladang, Jagung, dan Kedelai) (2015). Retrieved from Tanaman Pangan: https://www.bps.go.id/statictable/2015/09/25/1855/nilai-produksi-dan-biaya-produksi-per-musim-tanam-per-hektar-budidaya-tanaman-padi-sawah-padi-ladang-jagung-dan-kedelai-2014.html
- 12.Syukur, A.: Analysis of farmers’ income in the corn marketing system in Jeneponto (Analisis Pendapatan Petani dalam sistim Pemasaran Jagung di kabupaten Jeneponto). Thesis (2007)Google Scholar
- 14.Suratiyah: Farming Science (Ilmu Usahatani). Penebar Swadaya, Jakarta, (2006)Google Scholar
- 15.Transentis Consulting: Step-by-step tutorials, introduction to system dynamics-stock and flow diagrams, articles (2018). Available at https://www.transentis.com/step-by-step-tutorials/introduction-to-system-dynamics/stock-and-flow-diagrams/