Optimization of Lead Ions Adsorption onto C16-6-16 Incorporated Mesoporous MCM-41 Using Box-Behnken Design
- 192 Downloads
Adsorption of lead ions by mesoporous material incorporating Gemini surfactant C16-6-16 (G-MCM-41) was investigated using response surface methodology. The effect of pH, initial metal concentration and contact time was studied using Box-Behnken design (BBD). The optimal parameters for maximum adsorption capacity (81.92 mg/g) were obtained at pH 5.85, initial lead ion concentration 99.02 mg/L, and contact time 118.49 min. The effect of different variables and their interactions were assessed by analysis of variance (ANOVA). The surface and contour response plot shows the interaction of different variables and response. The experimental data fits best in the quadratic model with maximum predicted R2 value of 0.9013 and Prob > F is <0.0001 showing the model is significant.
KeywordsLead MCM-41 Response surface methodology Box-Behnken design
The authors are thankful to Manav Rachna International Institute of Research and Studies Faridabad, India for providing support.
- 3.Yavuz O, Guzel R, Aydin F et al (2007) Removal of cadmium and lead from aqueous solution bycalcite. Pol J Environ Stud 16(3):467–471Google Scholar
- 5.Usa today (2016) 19/05/2017 https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/03/11/nearly-2000-water-systems-fail-lead tests/81220466/
- 6.Chigaco tribune (2016) 19/05/2017, http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/watchdog/ct-lead water-illinois-met-20160512-story.html
- 10.Mondal NK, Samanta A, Dutta S, et al (2017) Optimization of Cr(VI) biosorption onto aspergillus niger using 3-level Box-Behnken design: equilibrium, kinetic, thermodynamic and regeneration studies. J Genet Eng Biotechnol 15(1):151–160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgeb.2017.01.006 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Saini S, Chawla J, Kumar R et al (2015) C16-6-16 Incorporated Mesoporous MCM-41: synthesis, characterization and application as adsorbent for removal of cadmium ions from aqueous solution. ISST J Appl Chem 6(1):1–5Google Scholar