Internet of Things: Security Challenges and Its Future Direction
Internet of Things (IoT) has emerged as a new wave of digital technologies that promise a transformative experience in future, such as smart cities, smart health, intelligence transport, etc. While the security always serves as a key factor of public adoption for the new technology, this paper provides a state of art review on IoT security and its challenges. This paper discusses the security requirements of IoT from the aspect of confidentiality, Integrity, Authentication, Authorization, and Availability. Subsequently, several security challenges and privacy concerns will be highlighted in this paper. Lastly, this paper discusses future works towards a secure IoT.
KeywordsInternet of things (IoTs) Security Data centric security Data protection
This work has been supported by Skim Geran Penyelidikan UMS (SPGUMS) SLB0159-2017 funded by the Universiti Malaysia Sabah.
- 1.Tan, S.F., Samsudin, A.: Attribute-based encryption—a data centric approach for securing internet of things (IoT). Adv. Sci. Lett. 23(5), 4219–4223 (2017)Google Scholar
- 2.IDC.: Worldwide Internet of Things Forecast Update: 2015–2019, IDC Report (2016)Google Scholar
- 3.Gartner.: Forecast: IoT Security, Worldwide, Report G00351051 (2018)Google Scholar
- 4.Sakamura, K.: Ubiquitous ID Technologies 2011, Ubiquitous ID Center Publication (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Ubiquitous ID Center and T-Engine Forum, “Ubiquitous ID Architecture,” Ubiquitous ID Center Publication (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Malisa, V., Tourancheau, B., Rousseau, F., Duda, A., Damon, L., Guizzetti. R.: OSCAR : object security architecture for the internet of things. Ad Hoc Netw. 32(2015), 3–16 (2015)Google Scholar
- 12.Raza, S.: Lightweight Security Solutions for The Internet of Things, Ph.D. Thesis, Malardalen University Sweden 2013Google Scholar
- 15.Tan, S.F., Samsudin, A.: A Survey of Homomorphic Encryption for Outsourced Big Data Computation. KSII Trans. Internet Inf. Syst. 10(8), 3826–3851 (2016)Google Scholar
- 16.Tan, S.F., Samsudin, A.: Lattice ciphertext-policy attribute-based encryption from ring-LWE. In: Proceedings of International Symposium of Technology Management and Emerging Technologies (ISTMET), pp. 282–286 (2015)Google Scholar
- 17.Goldreichand, O., Chor, B., Kushilevitz, E. Private Information Retrieval. In: JACM (1998)Google Scholar
- 18.Kadhe, S.: Private Information Retrieval with Side Information. Cornell University Library (2017)Google Scholar
- 19.Sun, H., Jafar, S.A.: The capacity of private information retrieveal. IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory 63(7), 4075–4088 (2017)Google Scholar