Cell Balancing Topologies in Battery Energy Storage Systems: A Review
The performance of a battery energy storage system is highly affected by cell imbalance. Capacity degradation of an individual cell which leads to non-utilization for the available capacity of a BESS is the main drawback of cell imbalance. Cell imbalance is common due to internal and/or external sources such as manufacturing deviations, self-discharge rate variation and discharging the cells in an unequal number of cycles. Accordingly, several cell balancing topologies have been proposed by the researchers in the last decade. This paper presents a review of the proposed cell balancing topologies for BESSs. Comparison among the topologies is performed for four categories: balancing speed, charge/discharge capability, main elements required to balance n cell, and application types.
KeywordsBattery Energy storage Cell balancing Active Passive
This work was supported by Universiti Sains Malaysia under the project 304/PELECT/60313053.
- 7.Brandl, M., Gall, H., Wenger, M., Lorentz, V., Giegerich, M., Baronti, F., et al.: Batteries and battery management systems for electric vehicles. In: Proceedings of the Conference on Design, Automation and Test in Europe, pp. 971–976 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Crolla, D.: Encyclopedia of Automotive Engineering. Wiley-Blackwell, West Sussex, UK (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.Kutkut, N., Divan, D.: Dynamic equalization techniques for series battery stacks. In: 18th International Telecommunications Energy Conference in 1996, INTELEC’96, pp. 514–521 (1996)Google Scholar
- 12.Cadar, D., Petreus, V., Patarau, T.: An energy converter method for battery cell balancing. In: 33rd International Spring Seminar on Electronics Technology (ISSE) in 2010, pp. 290–293 (2010)Google Scholar
- 15.Ooi, C.A.: Balancing Control for Grid-Scale Battery Energy Storage Systems. Cardiff University (2016)Google Scholar
- 19.Chen, Y., Liu, X., Cui, Y., Zou, J., Yang, S.: A multiwinding transformer cell-to-cell active equalization method for lithium-ion batteries with reduced number of driving circuits. IEEE Trans. Power Electron. 31, 4916–4929 (2016)Google Scholar
- 22.Ooi, C.A., Rogers, D., Jenkins, N.: Balancing control for grid-scale battery energy storage system. Proc. Inst. Civ. Eng. Energy 168, 145–157 (2015)Google Scholar