Six Fundraisers’ Dilemmas Solved
- 220 Downloads
In this chapter we solve the Six Fundraisers’ Dilemmas, a list of dilemmas that we had found were common concerns in the For-Purpose sector: the Staff Turnover; the Cost Ratio Dilemma; the Tied Funding Dilemma; the Product versus Misery versus Hope Dilemma; the Crowded Market Dilemma; and the Pecking Order Dilemma. Addressing and solving these Dilemmas helps those working in the sector to be more effective in achieving their purpose, giving hope.
- Anonymous. 2016. The secret life of a chugger: most of us are motivated by money, not charity. The Guardian, 4 April 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/04/secret-life-chugger-charity-fundraiser. [Accessed 5 November 2018].
- Bakker, D., Executive Search and Recruitment. 2018. Five Ways to Fix the Turnover Problem in Your Fundraising Department. [Online] Available at: https://nonprofit-executive-search.com/insights/fix-fundraising-staff-turnover. [Accessed 2 October 2017].
- Bell, J., Cornelius, M., CompassPoint. 2013. UnderDeveloped: A National Study of Challenges Facing Nonprofit Fundraising. [Online] Available at: https://www.compasspoint.org/underdeveloped. [Accessed 8 October 2017].
- Edwards, R., FIA. 2017. Attitudes to Admin Costs Must Change. [Online] Available at: https://fia.org.au/. [Accessed 5 December 2017].
- Fund Raising Standards Board (United Kingdom). 2018. FRSB. [Online] Available at: http://www.frsb.org.uk/. [Accessed 2 November 2018].
- Garvan Institute of Medical Research. 2018. The genome test that gave Alan a future. [Online] Available at: https://www.garvan.org.au/news-events/news/the-genome-test-that-gave-alan-a-future. [Accessed 10 May 2018].
- Lo, N., Lowe, A., & Bendavid, E., 2016. Abstinence funding was not associated with reductions in HIV risk behavior in Sub-Saharan Africa. Health Affairs, [Online]. Vol. 35. Issue 5, pp. 856–863. Available at: https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2015.0828. [Accessed 1 August 2018].
- McLeod, J., 2018. The support report: The changing shape of giving and the significant implications for recipients. JBWere, [Online] Available at: https://www.jbwere.com.au/content/dam/jbwere/documents/JBWere-Support-Report-2018.pdf. [Accessed 2 October 2018].
- Pallotta, D. 2013. Ted Talk: The Way We Think About Charity Is Dead Wrong. [Online] Available at: https://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pallotta_the_way_we_think_about_charity_is_dead_wrong?language=en. [Accessed 7 October 2018].
- Philanthropy News Digest. 2018. NGOs Shifting Power to Local Staff to Boost Program Results. [Online] Available at: https://philanthropynewsdigest.org/news/ngos-shifting-power-to-local-staff-to-boost-program-results. [Accessed 1 June 2018].
- Prosci. 2018. Best Practices in Change Management. [Online] Available at: https://www.prosci.com/resources/articles/change-management-best-practices. [Accessed 3 October 2018].
- Sargeant, A., & Shang, J. 2013. What Makes Fundraising Truly Great? A UK based report commissioned by Clayton Burnett & Associates, Available [Online], Available at http://studyfundraising.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Great-Fundraising.pdf [Accessed 3 December 2017].
- Sargeant, A., Shang, J., & Day, H. 2018. Outstanding Fundraising Practice: What Makes Australian Organizations Truly Great. Commissioned by the Fundraising Institute of Australia.Google Scholar
- Scaife, W., Williamson, A., & McDonald, K. 2013. Who’s Asking for What? Fundraising and Leadership in Australian Nonprofits, Australian Centre of Philanthropy and NonProfit Studies, QUT Brisbane. [Online] Available at: https://eprints.qut.edu.au/59196/3/19430_ACPNA_Report_2013_%C5%B8.pdf [Accessed 2 October 2018].
- Showcase of Fundraising Innovation and Inspiration. 2018. The Commission on the Donor Experience. [Online] Available at: http://sofii.org/cde/the-commission-on-the-donor-experience. [Accessed 2 October 2018].