Religious Education: A Creative Time and Space for Spiritual Development
Religious education (RE) in English and Welsh church secondary schools is both a rigorous academic discipline and an opportunity to make a powerful contribution to pupils’ spiritual development. Often it is the academic rigour that is prioritised in school, embedded in the curriculum, researched and measured.
- Arthur, J. (1995). The ebbing tide: Policy and principles of Catholic education. Leominster: Gracewing.Google Scholar
- Casson, A., Cooling, T., & Francis, L. J. (2017). Lessons in spiritual development: Learning from leading secondary schools. Church House: Church House Publishing.Google Scholar
- Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales. (2000). Statement on religious education in Catholic schools. Retrieved from http://www.rcdow.org.uk/education/default.asp?library_ref=8andcontent_ref=827.
- Chadwick, P. (1994). Schools of reconciliation. Issues in joint Roman Catholic-Anglican education. London: Cassell.Google Scholar
- Congregation for Catholic Education. (1977). The Catholic school. Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_19770319_catholic-school_en.html.
- Congregation for the Clergy. (1997). General directory for catechesis. (GDC). Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/cogregtions/cclergy/docments/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_17041998_directory-for-catechesis_en.html.
- Francis, L. J. (1993). Theology of education and the church school. In L. J. Francis & D. W. Lankshear (Eds.), Christian perspectives on church schools. Gracewing: Leominster.Google Scholar
- Hay, D., & Nye, R. (2006). The spirit of the child. London: Jessica Kingsley.Google Scholar
- Hervieu-Léger, D. (2000). Religion as a chain of memory. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.Google Scholar
- Jackson, R. (2000). Law, politics and religious education in England and Wales: Some history, some stories and some observations. In M. Leicester, C. Modgil, & S. Modgil (Eds.), Spiritual and religious education (Vol. 5, pp. 86–99). London: Falmer.Google Scholar
- Ofsted. (2016). School inspection handbook [online]. Retrieved from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/school-inspection-handbook-from-september-2015.
- Pring, R. (2005). Faith schools: Can they be justified. In R. Gardner, J. Cairns, & D. Lawton (Eds.), Faith schools: Consensus or conflict (pp. 51–60). Abingdon: RoutledgeFalmer.Google Scholar
- Rymarz, R. (2011). Catechesis and religious education in Canadian Catholic schools. Religious Education, 106(5), 537–549.Google Scholar
- Stock, M. (2005). Christ at the centre: A summary of why the Church provides Catholic schools. Birmingham: The Diocesan Schools Commission of Birmingham.Google Scholar