Engagement in Religious Education: Focusing on Spiritual and Religious Capabilities
Religious education in Catholic schools in Western Australia is considered to be the ‘first’ learning area (Catholic Education Commission of Western Australia [CECWA], Mandate of the Catholic education commission of Western Australia 2009–2015, 2009a). This learning area is a classroom-based activity with a significant emphasis on student understanding of content.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. (2017). Religion in Australia, 2016. Retrieved from http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/by%20Subject/2071.0~2016~Main%20Features~Religion%20Article~30.
- Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority. (2013). General capabilities in the Australian curriculum. Retrieved from http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/generalcapabilities/overview/general-capabilities-in-the-australian-curriculum.
- Catechism of the Catholic Church. (1993). Vatican City: Libreria Editrice Vaticana.Google Scholar
- Catholic Education Commission of Western Australia. (2009a). Mandate of the Catholic education commission of Western Australia 2009–2015. Retrieved from http://internet.ceo.wa.edu.au/AboutUs/Documents/Bishops%20Mandate%202009-2015.pdf.
- Catholic Education Commission of Western Australia. (2009b). Mandate of the Catholic education commission of Western Australia 2009–2015: Parents, carers and families. Retrieved from https://internet.ceo.wa.edu.au/AboutUs/Documents/Welcome%20to%20Parents%20Carers%20and%20Families_Mandate%202009-2015.pdf.
- Congregation for Catholic Education. (1977). The Catholic school. Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_19770319_catholic-school_en.html.
- Congregation for Catholic Education. (1982). Lay Catholic in schools: Witnesses to faith. Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_19821015_lay-catholics_en.html.
- Cook, T. J., & Symonds, T. A. (2011). The charism of 21st-century Catholic schools: Building a culture of relationships. Catholic Education: A Journal of Inquiry and Practice, 14(3), 319–333.Google Scholar
- D’Orsa, J., & D’Orsa, T. (2012). Catholic curriculum: A mission to the heart of young people. Mulgrave, VIC: Vaughan Publishing.Google Scholar
- Davidson, M. (2014). A character education research perspective for the 21st century. Journal of Character Education, 10(1), 7–83.Google Scholar
- Dixon, R., Reid, S., & Chee, M. (2013). Mass attendance in Australia: A critical moment. A report based on the National Count of Attendance, the National Church Life Survey and the Australian census. Retrieved from http://pro.catholic.org.au/pdf/Pastoral%20Research%20Office%20-%20Mass%20attendance%20in%20Australia%20-%20a%20critical%20moment%20-%20December%202013.pdf.
- Gidley, J. (2005). Giving hope back to our young people: Creating a new spiritual mythology for western culture. Journal of Futures Studies: Epistemology, Methods, Applied and Alternative Futures, 9, 17–30.Google Scholar
- Good, M., & Willoughby, T. (2008). Adolescence as a sensitive period for spiritual development. Child Development Perspectives, 2(1), 32–37. Retrieved from http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com.ipacez.nd.edu.au/doi/10.1111/j.1750-8606.2008.00038.x/pdf.
- Grajconek, J., Ryan M., & Chambers, M. (2007). Inclusion of students who are not Catholics in Catholic schools: Policy, practices and problems. Retrieved from http://www.acu.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/89896/Inclusion_of_Students_who_are_not_Catholics_in_Catholic_Schools.pdf.
- Hay, D., & Nye, R. (2006). The spirit of the child (Revised edition). London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.Google Scholar
- Kids Helpline. (2016). Insights 2016: Insights into young people in Australia. Retrieved from https://kidshelpline.com.au/organisation/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2017/05/KHL_Insights_Report_2016-web.pdf.
- King, P. E., & Roeser, R. W. (2009). Religion and spirituality in adolescent development. In R. M. Lerner and L. Steinberg (Eds.). Handbook of adolescent psychology. New Jersey: Wiley, https://doi.org/10.1002/9780470479193.adlpsy001014.
- Lawrence, D., Johnson, S., Hafekost, J., Boterhoven de Haan, K., Sawyer, M., Ainley, J., & Zubrick, S. R. (2015). The mental health of children and adolescents. Report on the second Australian child and adolescent survey of mental health and wellbeing. Retrieved from https://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/9DA8CA21306FE6EDCA257E2700016945/%24File/child2.pdf.
- Lucas, B. (2017). Community, belonging and identity: Young people and mission. In Mission and Spirituality News. Retrieved September 4, 2017 from http://www.bbi.catholic.edu.au/news-events/110/article/1605/community–belonging-and-identity–young-people-and-mission-by-fr-brian-lucas.
- McDougall, B. (2016). Catholic schools: Almost one third of students are from outside the faith. In The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved from http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/catholic-schools-almost-one-third-of-students-are-from-outside-the-faith/news-story/72f626fb30d6eb94fb1da3e99ffcf3ab.
- McGunnigle, C., & Hackett, C. (2015). Spiritual and religious capabilities for Catholic schools. eJournal of Catholic Education in Australasia, 2(1), Article 6. Retrieved from http://researchonline.nd.edu.au/ecea/vol2/iss1/6.
- Miller, L. (2015). The spiritual knock at the door [Youtube]. Retrieved June 26, 2015 from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55CdBPfi64w.
- Miller, L., & Barker, T. (2016). The spiritual child: The new science on parenting for health and lifelong thriving. USA: Picador.Google Scholar
- Mission Australia and the Black Dog Institute. (2016). Youth mental health report: Youth survey 2012–16. Retrieved from: https://www.missionaustralia.com.au/publicationsresearch/young-people.
- National Catholic Education Commission. (2015). Annual Report. Retrieved from http://www.ncec.catholic.edu.au/resources/publications/424-2015-annual-report/file.
- O’Leary, D. (2008). Begin with the heart…Recovering a sacramental vision. Dublin: Columba Press.Google Scholar
- Pope Francis. (2013). Apostolic exhortation Evangelii gaudium of the Holy Father Francis to the bishops, clergy, consecrated persons and the lay faithful on the proclamation of the Gospel in today’s world. Retrieved from http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/apost_exhortations/documents/papa-francesco_esortazione-ap_20131124_evangelii-gaudium.html.
- Pope Francis. (2015). Address of His Holiness Pope Francis to members of the Italian union of Catholic school teachers, managers, educators and trainers. Retrieved from https://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/speeches/2015/march/documents/papa-francesco_20150314_uciim.html.
- Reid, D. (2011). Making space for religious education in the national curriculum. Religious Education Journal of Australia, 27(2), 10–15. Retrieved from http://search.informit.com.au.ipacez.nd.edu.au/documentSummary;dn=231435431421988;res=IELHSS.
- Rossiter, G. (2010). A case for a ‘big picture’ re-orientation of K-12 Australian Catholic school religious education in the light of contemporary spirituality. Journal of Religious Education, 58(3), 5–18.Google Scholar
- Spiewak, G. S., & Sherrod, L. R. (2008). Possible interrelationships between civic engagement, positive youth development, and spirituality/religiosity. In R. M. Lerner, R. W. Roeser, & E. Phelps (Eds.), Positive youth development and spirituality: From theory to research (pp. 322–338). West Conshohocken, PA: Templeton Foundation Press.Google Scholar
- Synod of Bishops, XV Ordinary General Assembly. (2017). Young people, the Faith and vocational discernment: Preparatory document. Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/synod/documents/rc_synod_doc_20170113_documento-preparatorio-xv_en.html.
- Walker, M. (2005). Higher education pedagogies. Berkshire, GBR: McGraw-Hill Education. Retrieved from http://site.ebrary.com.ipacez.nd.edu.au/lib/notredameaustralia/detail.action?docID=10175267.
- Warren, A. E. A., Lerner, R. M., & Phelps, E. (Eds.). (2012). Thriving and spirituality among youth: Research perspectives and future possibilities. New Jersey: Wiley.Google Scholar