Stewards of Creation: Laudato Si’, Ecological Conversion and Religious Education
This chapter begins with a critical review of the module Stewards of Creation from a 2014 draft Religious Education Curriculum (Sydney Catholic Schools, RE curriculum (Draft), Year 7 Module ‘Stewards of Creation’, 2014) for the Archdiocese of Sydney. The publication of the papal encyclical Laudato Si’ (Pope Francis, Encyclical Letter Laudato Si’. On care for our common home, 2015) has moved environmental and ecological awareness from the periphery to the centre of Catholic thought and practice and this is reflected in the religious education curriculum.
- Duska, R., & Whelan, M. (1977). Moral development: A guide to Piaget and Kohlberg. Dublin: Gill and Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Lonergan, B. J. F. (1972). Method in theology. London: DLT.Google Scholar
- Ormerod, N. (2010). Identity and mission in Catholic organisations. The Australasian Catholic Record, 87(4), 430–439.Google Scholar
- Pope Francis. (2015). Encyclical Letter Laudato Si’. On care for our common home. Retrieved from http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/encyclicals/documents/papa-francesco_20150524_enciclica-laudato-si.html.
- Pope Francis. (2016). Post-synodal apostolic exhortation amoris laetitia. On love on the family. Retrieved from https://w2.vatican.va/content/dam/francesco/pdf/apost_exhortations/documents/papa-francesco_esortazione-ap_20160319_amoris-laetitia_en.pdf.
- Pope John XXIII. (1963). Encyclical letter pacem in terris. On establishing universal peace in truth, justice, charity and liberty. Retrieved from http://w2.vatican.va/content/john-xxiii/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_j-xxiii_enc_11041963_pacem.html.
- Sydney Catholic Schools. (2014). RE curriculum (Draft), Year 7 Module “Stewards of Creation”. Sydney unpublished.Google Scholar
- White, D. (2005). Discerning religious meaning: The forgotten challenge facing religious education. Journal of Religious Education., 53(4), 4–9.Google Scholar