Catholic Social Teaching, Catholic Education and Religious Education
Contemporary Catholic social teaching originates around the time of the publication of Rerum Novarum (Pope Leo XIII, 1891). It is important, however, to recognise that the Christian concern for social justice and care of the poor and marginalised is rooted in biblical and historical traditions (Birge, 2009; DeBerri, Hug, Henriot, & Schultheis, 2003). In the Old Testament this tradition can be discerned in the holiness code (Lev 17-26) and the commitment to the care of the stranger (Exodus 22:21; 23:9). In the New Testament, the tradition can be discerned in gospel demands for social justice, love of neighbour and correct use of material possessions (Lk 12:13-21; 12:33-34; 14:33).
- Birge SSJ, M. K. (2009). Biblical justice. In D. M. McCarthy (Ed.), The heart of catholic social teaching (pp. 19–30). Grand Rapids: Brazos Press.Google Scholar
- Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales. (1996). The common good and the catholic church’s social teaching. Retrieved from http://www.catholicsocialteaching.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/THE-COMMON-GOOD-AND-THE-CATHOLIC-CHURCH_1996.pdf.
- Congregation for Catholic Education. (1988). The religious dimension of education in a catholic school. Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/docu-ments/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_19880407_catholic-school_en.html.
- Congregation for Catholic Education. (2002). Consecrated persons and their mission in schools. Reflections and guidelines. Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_20021028_consecrated-persons_en.html.
- Congregation for Catholic Education. (2007). Educating together in catholic schools. A shared mission between consecrated persons and the lay faithful. Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_20070908_educare-insieme_en.html.
- Congregation for Catholic Education. (2009). Circular letter to the presidents of bishops’ conferences on religious education in schools. Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_20090505_circ-insegn-relig_en.html.
- Congregation for Catholic Education. (2013). Educating to intercultural dialogue in catholic schools. Living in harmony for a civilization of love. Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_20131028_dialogo-interculturale_en.html.
- Congregation for Catholic Education. (2014). Educating today and tomorrow: A renewing passion. Instrumentum Laboris. Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_20140407_educare-oggi-e-domani_en.html.
- DeBerri, E. P., Hug, J. E., Henriot, P. J., & Schultheis, M. J. (2003). Catholic social teaching. Our best kept secret. New York: Orbis Books.Google Scholar
- Dorr, D. (2012). Option for the poor and for the earth. New York: Orbis Books.Google Scholar
- McBride, D. (1999). The parables of Jesus. Chawton: Redemptorist Publications.Google Scholar
- Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace. (2004). Compendium of the social doctrine of the church. Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/justpeace/docu-ments/rc_pc_justpeace_doc_20060526_compendio-dott-soc_en.html.
- Pope Leo XIII. (1891). Rerum Novarum. An encyclical on capital and labour. Retrieved from http://w2.vatican.va/content/leo-xiii/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_l-xiii_enc_15051891_rerum-novarum.html.
- Sacred Congregation for Catholic Education. (1977). The catholic school. Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_19770319_catholic-school_en.html.
- Sacred Congregation for Catholic Education. (1982). Lay catholics in schools: Witnesses to faith. Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_19821015_lay-catholics_en.html.
- Second Vatican Council. (1965). Gravissimum Educationis. Declaration on Christian education. Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decl_19651028_gravissimum-educationis_en.html.
- Tuohy, S. J. D. (2005). Catholic social teaching in education. In Catholic social teaching in action (pp. 113–127). Dublin: The Columba Press.Google Scholar
- UNHCR. (2017). Global trends. Forced displacement in 2016. Retrieved from http://www.unhcr.org/5943e8a34.pdf.
- United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. (1998). Sharing catholic social teaching: Challenges and directions. Retrieved from http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catholic-social-teaching/sharing-catholic-social-teaching-challenges-and-directions.cfm.
- United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. (2018). Seven themes of catholic social teaching. Retrieved from http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catholic-social-teaching/seven-themes-of-catholic-social-teaching.cfm.
- Women Watch. (2012). Facts and figures. Retrieved from http://www.un.org/womenwatch/feature/ruralwomen/facts-figures.html.